Will a face lift get rid of these jowls? (photo)

Re: facelift What kind of results can I expect from a face lift? I am 51, slender, non drinker, non smoker, clean water, and skin is sagging. I live a healthy lifestyle. Why is my face dropping rapidly? My mother is 70 and her skin is tight. I use sunscreen.

Keep Thin and Still Look Young

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Congratulations on staying slender at 51! Your lack of fat, however, may be partially why your face is sagging faster than your mother's. In the past, French women used to lament that they had to choose “ the face or the fanny” when trying to maintain a youthful look. With a full rhytidectomy plus fat grafting, you don't have to choose. You can have a slender, fit body plus a lifted face with a youthful look. I hope this helps.

Facelift

Thank you for your post. A facelift procedure can absolutely get rid of jowling that comes with age. In a younger patient, like yourself, who is physically healthy but has some degree of sagging skin can definitely benefit from a facelift procedure. Subtle and more natural improvements can be very satisfying for patients that are concerned about slight facial drooping at a younger age. For you, I would recommend a customized mini lift, this procedure allows us to "customize" the technique and the amount of lifting in either the jowl or neck regions.  In your case, we would focus more on the degree of jowling rather than neck rejuvenation. However, a consultation would be required to perform a full assessment. the results in your case would be more subtle, due to the fact that the degree if droopiness in the neck line is not dramatic from the photo you attached.  A profile picture will help assess the degree droopiness in your neck area to better evaluate as well.

Chester K. Cheng, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Facelift expectations

Thanks for your question. I really think your skin looks bright and healthy, and that your jowls are fairly minimal at this point. Maybe it's just the photo? I'm sure you notice it more than anyone as we are always our own worst critic. But, I would likely have you start with the fillers (Juvederm & Voluma). This can help camouflage the "hollows and bulges" we get with normal aging. Mini-facelifting procedures are safe and easy to recover from, but I'd try the injectables first. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Will jowls be treated with a facelift?

First of all, we all want to look like we feel. If we feel healthy and youthful but the reflection in the mirror does not fit our sense of self, we want to improve our appearance. There are many reasons for the aging face, including genetics (you only get half from your mother), sun exposure, and even being quite thin (a thinner face tends to show the signs of aging earlier). Regarding jowls, a facelift will absolutely improve them. See a surgeon that is a facelift expert.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sil

Jowls are a combination of lifestyle and genetics.  Jowls can be improved with a surgical facelift or Silhouette Instalift, which is an absorbable thread that is woven under the skin to lift the skin in an hour or two procedure.  Over a 6 month period the threads are absorbed and your body is stimulated to produce your collagen.  Therefore, you receive a double benefit from the Silhouette Instalift, the lifting of moderately lax skin and a contour improvement. If; however, the facial skin, jowl, and neck tissues are very lax then a surgical facelift will be the most beneficial. A plastic surgeons who is well trained and has an artistic eye will offer the procedure that is optimal for a natural looking rejuvenation. 

Facelift and jowls

this really all depends on the facelift performed. 95% of lifts done cannot fully smooth out the jawline and jowls in all patients.   The lifts more likely to do that are extended SMAS or deep plane techniques.    The auralyft is the most advanced approach to the jowls and face, which is a vertical vector modified extended deep plan lift. This can be performed awake or asleep 

Ben Talei, MD

Why my face is aging?

The aging of the face in women is worsened as their estrogen levels drop. You will lose fat in your face,especially around your mouth and gravity will pull your face soft tissues downward. In your case, because your so thin,this is happening sooner. Treatment includes fillers around your mouth and a possible facelift to lift the fallen tissues. If you have a vertices bore overclosure you may be a candidate for a Juvabite system.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Hello, and thank you for your question. It's hard to tell if you would benefit much from a facelift based on your photo. A physical exam and/or better photos would be necessary for diagnosis. All that aside, you are probably feeling like your face is aging because you are slender! The face is one area of the body where fat (in certain areas) is desirable. A facelift generally turns the clock back around 10 years. So if you have a facelift at 51, you can expect to look in your 40's while you're actually in your 50's, and look in your 50's while you're actually in your 60's. Please check out the video for more information on the facelift procedure. Be sure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon, and be sure the facelift includes the neck! That is definitely a common place for people to show signs of aging.

Will a face lift get rid of these jowls?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  From these photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat in front and behind the cheeks and jowls are present.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

You Appear to Be a Good Candidate

Many patients are candidates for facelift by the age of 50, and some patients even in their 40s. In your photo, you are partially smiling, and with the smile muscles working, you have crow’s feet and more lines around the mouth. Jowls are best judged when your face is fully relaxed. In any case, the drooping around your mouth is best addressed with a lower facelift that effectively focuses on the jowls, relaxation around the mouth, and the midface. Fat grafting around the mouth is almost always beneficial at the time of surgery. Patients who are physically fit and don’t have significant facial fat tend to show aging changes around the face earlier, even though they are very healthy. I like to show prospective patients several before-and-after photos of patients with similar aging changes to give a realistic idea of what can be accomplished. In general, a facelift should “turn back the clock” approximately 10 years, although skin elasticity and fine lines are not corrected. In my view, you look like a good candidate for surgery, but different techniques vary considerably in the extent of the correction and the expected duration of the results. Choose your surgeon carefully based on experience, reputation, and before-and-after photos to optimize the chances that your expectations will be met.