I'm a 59 year old and I had lipo in 2013 and the results were awful. I want to look better for my 60th in April.

I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea and arthritis and bulging discs in my lower back. I want to know if a procedure of any kind would be risky

It would be helpful to have your height and weight in order to determine your BMI. It may be best  for you to focus on lifestyle changes that would improve your candidacy and your outcome for a major Abdminoplasty. 

Had Liposuction want better result

I am sorry to hear you do not like the results of your liposuction. From your pictures it looks like you could lose some weight and that a tummy tuck may be a better procedure for you. Having said that, as your weight increases and you have other medical conditions it increases the risk of surgery. Certainly I have patients that are over weight and have hypertension, and they have wonderful results. You need a good exam, a competent medical work up, and possibly lose some weight prior to surgery. It may not need to be a huge amount, just emough to demonstrate you are willing to participate in your own health care. Even though tummy tucks are not designed as weight loss surgery, you certainly do lose weight and we would want to maximize this

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

BMI issue

I am wondering what your BMI is. You are probably better off losing weight first. Best of luck......

Diet Before Cosmetic Surgery

Rose.  I am sorry to say this, but I think you need to lose weight BEFORE considering cosmetic surgery. Your result from surgery will be better and it will help bring down your blood pressure and help back pain! Check out the link below to an article I wrote about the subject. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Significant surgery carries significant risks

To achieve significant benefits, you would need surgery which would likely pose you significant risks due to your health conditions.  Some improvements can be made to your overall appearance with non-invasive technologies.  However, these treatments will not make big improvements without undergoing multiple treatments over time.  Multiple treatments may still not give your results that you are happy with and may end up being too costly for the limited benefits.  Nevertheless, you may still wish to try a non-invasive treatment for your upcoming birthday.  

Good luck and Happy Birthday!

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Taking the first step towards liposuction

Unfortunately, I don't think you are a good candidate for liposuction at this time. It would be best to be near your ideal weight in order to get the results from liposuction that you would be happy with. That being said, I do recommend getting a formal consultation with an expert to discuss your goals and create a long term plan. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction at 59 with multiple medical problems

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Liposuction unfortunately will not be helpful.
  • All your medical problems are related to your being very over-weight.
  • To celebrate your 60th birthday, I suggest you either get on a successful weight loss program or have a gastric bypass operation to allow you to lose weight.
  • You will feel fantastic if you shed your weight-related medical problems.!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Sorry but you were never a candidate for liposuction because of your very high BMI and weight, plus the serious medical issues! Best to either consider gastric sleeve or bypass surgery . Or truly try exercise with struct dieting.

Surgery vs weight loss

As the other consultants have so politely explained, it would not be appropriate for anyone to do any kind of contouring surgery on you at the present time, even with a significant birthday coming. Your photos show a need for medically supervised weight loss, not surgery. Please seek the best care in your region as there are many programs out there to assist you to a new healthier self. Surgery is not the answer and please be ware of anybody who would operate on you at the present time.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Picking the right procedure for you

thank you for your question.  There are two question to answer for you. 1) is it safe to perform a body contouring procedure on you, and 2) is there an appropriate indication to perform a surgery on you. The safety question should be evaluated by your board certified plastic surgeon as well as your internist.  The second question is equally important.  Not everybody is a candidate for body contouring whether it liposuction or skin removal.  I often see patients in consultation who would be better off making a lifestyle change, consulting with an weight loss specialist, and return when they are better candidates for surgery.  The higher your body mass index, the higher the rate of complications and suboptimal results.  Work on weight loss first, then be re-evaluated for surgery. Your result will be much more dramatic and safer. good luck. Don't get discouraged, your not alone in this journey

John Renucci, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon