What procedure would you recommend for reducing the fat underneath my chin? (Photo)

I am 30 years old, tall and slender, but have always had a weak chin (genetics). I am not sure if I would like to go as far as a chin implant. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the fat underneath my chin and perhaps make my jaw area look a little bit less round appearing?

Fat Reduction

Things certainly have come a long way with respect to fat reduction.  Historically liposuction has been and probably still is the gold standard.  This procedure can be performed completely with local anesthesia.  In addition to liposuction, Kybella is an injectable medication that can permanently destroy the fat.  Lastly, cool sculpting can freeze the fat to permanently remove the fat.  Your best bet is to seek the consultation of a physician who is able to offer each of these services.

Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Multiple Option for Correcting Your Double Chin

Hello and thank-you for sharing your question and photos.

Correction of a double chin can be achieved either though a surgical or non-invasive approaches. Liposuction of the chin and neck produces consistently good results for appropriate candidates. We are very excited with the development of several non-invasive techniques for correction of a double chin. We offer the Cool mini as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction for the right candidate. Generally, two treatments are required separated by 4-6 weeks.  We also offer Kybella which is another non-surgical alternative to liposuction. Generally 3-6 treatments are needed separated by 4-6 weeks.   

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn about your options..

Best regard

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Chin fat reduction

Thank you for uploading a good profile photo. There is definitely an amount of submental fat that can be removed with Kybella injections or liposuction; I prefer using liposuction because the results are immediate and there is virtually no pain during or following the surgery. You have a slight convexity to your profile which is good, and placing a small chin implant is an option, but may not be necessary if the submental fat is removed. Good luck.

What procedure would you recommend for reducing the fat underneath my chin?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is a slight excess of fat below the chin.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  You can try liposuction of the fat below the chin alone and then if this doesn't provide the results that you seek, you'll know that a chin implant is the next step in creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  You can also have chin augmentation with a reliable "off the shelf" dermal filler.  I like using Restylane Lyft or Radiesse.Hope this helps.

Combination

I think what would work great for you is some moderate under chin liposuction.In the hope that the operator can harvest more than 5 or 6 mls of fat, this would work great to augment the tip of the chin via a fat transfer technique. This treats both problems very elegantly and defines your sub chin region and strengthens your chin profile at the same time. Hope that helps.Adam Goodwin

Chin fullness

The best option in my opinion, would be laser lipolysis with fine cannula  liposuction. Alternatively, both CoolSculpting as well as an injectable called Kybella would also be good choices. I would recommend you see a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in cosmetic facial surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Fullness under chin

Small cannula  liposuction  under local anesthesia has been the procedure for this minor problem since the mid /980's. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin / Neck Liposuction

I think you would be a great candidate to consider laser-assisted liposuction of this area (Smartlipo). It can help to sculpt the jawline and create a more angular contour in the neck. It also helps to tighten skin to some degree, and you appear to have nice skin to begin with which will help. I'd suggest meeting w/ a plastic surgeon in your area. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Surgery is not a bad word

Submental liposuction is straightforward  procedure with minimal complications, easy recovery and predictable results.  I really think the "easy" nonsurgical alternatives can cost more, take more time and have a more significant recovery.  I don't know why we are trying to reinvent the wheel. Seek a board certified plastic sugeon who can discuss this procedure.  It should be done with local in the office and not be horribly expensive.  Good luck, Jane.  ps --I had it done when I was in college and still have no complaints.

Recommendations for reducing fat under chin

The traditional method of removing fat under the chin is liposuction.  Some newer, non-surgical options would be Kybella injections or CoolSculpting.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon