Compression Band - Is it absolutely necessary?

Two days post op. First two days pain ranged from a 6-8. Once I realized the pain was centered around this incredibly tight and horrible band I loosened it about an inch and a half, havent needed a pain pill since. It was literally about to bring me to tears. Physician wrote that its needed for two weeks to keep breasts from rising but does it really make that big a difference in the long run? Seems rather cruel to wrap this thing tighter than a corset on someone after surgery. :( Thank you

Chest band

I don't use them since I don't believe they change/prevent anything in my patients and they are extremely uncomfortable if they are tight enough to apply any reasonable pressure. Having said that, I cannot comment on your case as I am not your surgeon and don't know your exact circumstance. I suppose my position is - "Of course I would use the band in cases that would benefit from it, I simply have not yet ever seen one of those cases". ;-)

Chest bands rarely 'needed' after breast augmentation surgery

Thank you for your question.  Chest bands became popular about 15 years ago with the promotion of tall shaped implants which resulted in a lot of superior pole fullness initially after surgery.  They definitely make the pain worse and, in my experience, most patients took them off. I rarely recommend them now.  It is usually best to follow your surgeons advise, but I really don't think that there would be an issue if you loosened it to where it was comfortable.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Listen to your Surgeon

Follow your surgeon's advice.  He has tailored his after care based on his surgical technique.
I rarely use a breast band but my surgical results do not dictate the use.

Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Speak with your surgeon

Every surgeon has his or her own post op protocol. Many don't use compression bands. Since yours is bothering you so much, call your surgeon and see if you can leave it off. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Is a Compression Band Really Necessary After Breast Augmentation?

Thank you very much for your question; I’m sorry you have had so much discomfort after your breast surgery. As you can see from the different answers given to your question, there is controversy in using breast compression bands after surgery. This is primarily due to the different techniques used when performing breast augmentation surgery. However, that being said, if your bands were too tight and causing pain, you did the correct thing in loosing them to be more comfortable. I would advise you to follow the advice of your operating surgeon, as only he or she knows exactly what technique was used when performing your breast augmentation procedure. Each surgeon will have his or her own regime for post-operative care, therefore it is best to follow their suggestions.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Cruel breast band?

Your concerns are real and shared. That's why one of my patients and I developed the Mermaid breast band that provides total comfort. Please see link below. I have my patients wear the breast band for up to 4 weeks and they have no complaints.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Tight band

The best thing to do is always be in contact with your physician and talk to them about the problems you are having since they were there at the time of surgery and have the best understanding of what is happening and what needs to happen still. Having said that , I do occasionally use the band in certain circumstances. However as with all dressings, garments, wraps etc that I suggest, if something is causing too much discomfort, then it needs to be loosened or adjusted after speaking with the physician. More pain does not equal a better result. Best wishes

Leilie Javan, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Breast compression band

Many plastic surgeons have their patients use a breast compression band after breast augmentation for a number of reasons- to help stabilize the implants to keep the implants in their intended position if they seem like they are wanting to ride too high after surgery, to minimize swelling of the upper pole or both.  Their use is controversial as some surgeons do not think they add much.  Every surgeon's technique is different, however, and we all have our own post op care regimen that we have our patients do based on our surgical techniqe and our experience with our own patients over the years.  If you trust your surgeon, which I hope you do, I would definitely discuss your concerns with him.  He may be able to adjust the tightness of the band for you or have you change your schedule of wearing it.  Best wishes.

I appreciate your question.

It sounds like your bandeau was too tight which was causing your pain.  Please follow up with your surgeon as he/ she can examine you , demonstrate how to properly wear the bandeau and review their specific post op instructions with you.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr Schwartz

Breast Bands

I'm sorry you got advice that reinforced the idea that bands are necessary.

Not only is there no evidence that they are effective, surgeons like myself have performed thousands of breast augmentations without using anything other than a gently snug bra, purely for comfort. Most disturbing is that you had pain from it. Pain is a warning system that something is wrong. 

You can be rest assured that your band is unnecessary. 

Best of luck. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS