Am I a candidate for an Upper Eyelid surgery? (photos)

I am 43 and am noticing that my eyelid drooping is getting worse. Everyone in my family has really droopy eyelids. Can you tell me what surgery would help this and is it better to do now or when it gets worse? Is this an easy procedure? How long is the down time?

Upper blepharoplasty (skin removal)

You appear to be excellent candidate for upper blepharoplasty (skin removal only).  You don't exactly have droopy eyelids, called eyelid ptosis because your upper eyelid height is good. See link below.

Upper blepharoplasty (skin removal)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Upper Eyelid surgery?

Thank you for your questions and photo. Looks like you do have skin excess of the upper lid skin which would be removed with an upper blepharoplasty. This does run in families. The operation is straight forward and recovery is quick. You would be expected to have bruising and swelling which would diminish greatly over the first week to ten days. I will many times do this operation under local anesthesia alone. The scar is hidden in the natural skin line. The timing of surgery is up to you; but since the results can last many years or even be indefinite, there is no advantage to waiting. 

Heaviness over the outer part of the lid is many times due to drooping of the brow. Your surgeon should be able to determine whether this is the case with you. The brow drooping is readily corrected with a brow lift. This is usually done endoscopically with the small scars hidden within the hairline. 

Make sure your surgeon is board certified and has experience with these procedures. Good luck to you. 

William McClure, MD

Upper Eyelid surgery?

William McClure, MD

Eyelid surgery is not trivial.

You need a detailed evaluation to determine your dry eye status.  For individuals with eye dryness, surgery should be conservatively done by preserving the integrity of the orbicularis oculi muscle.  That muscle is responsible for the blink.  Typically the surgery is healed to the point of being able to socially interact by 2 weeks.  Aesthetically this will be very helpful for you.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery is not trivial.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper Bleph in mid 40s

Without doubt (based on your pic), you are a great candidate for an upper bleph. Most docs would agree that this procedure has the least downtime of all facial procedures (about 2-3 days). Most docs will remove the stitches in 5-7 days, and the incision line should be in the natural crease of the eyes. A good upper bleph should give you 20-25 years of result, so that you shouldn't need to worry about another upper eye procedure until you are collecting Social Security. Best of luck to you. You are a great candidate and should do super!

Upper Bleph in mid 40s

Treating upper lid hooding

By this photo, it appears that the hooding goes to about the mid lash. Are both upper lids similar? You might consider a mini temporal brow lift with a limited (skin only) upper lid lift.

Treating upper lid hooding

Am I a candidate for an Upper Eyelid surgery?

I think that a skin only upper eyelid surgery would be appropriate for you.

Beverly Hills, CA

Beverly Hills, CA

Blepharoplasty

This is a great question. It is not unusual to have extra skin drop on the upper eyelids as we age. This causes us to look tired. Fortunately, blepharoplasty can remove the "hoods" on the upper lids and rejuvenate the appearance of the eyes. I think you are a great candidate and would benefit from an upper eyelid blepharoplasty. It can absolutely be done very conservatively to make you look like nothing was done, just making you look more rested. Down time is usually about a week.

Blepharoplasty

Upper Eyelid Surgical Candidate

An exam by an expert is needed for the best opinion. However, in general those with excessive sagging or wrinkled upper of lower eyelid skin , loss of your natural upper eyelid crease, puffy pouches of fat in your upper or lower lids that creates a tired or aged appearance, and lower lid orbital rim depression are typical candidates for an Eyelid lift

#UpperLidBlephCandidate

Upper Eyelid Surgical Candidate

#UpperLidBlephCandidate

Upper eyelid

Thank you for your question. Based on the photo you provided. I feel you would be a good canidate for a procedure called an upper blephorplasty. This is a fairly simple surgery that removes the excess skin with minimal down time. You should schedule a consultation with a board certified Plastic surgeon to discuss your options for your concerns.
best of luck

Upper eyelid

best of luck

Upper eyelid surgery

You look like you may be a good candidate for upper eyelid blepharoplasty. I would recommend a consultation to determine what options would be best for you. Occasionally, we can also improve the appearance of the upper eyelids with strategically placed Botox injections.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon