With a skin sparing, nipple sparing mastectomy, which shape implant would be better?

With a skin sparing, nipple sparing mastectomy, which implant would provide best success for the procedure - round silicone or anatomical gummy bear.

With breast reconstructions

I'm an advocate of textured anatomic implants so they are fixed in position and have less fullness in the upper pole as the round ones tend to produce.  There are some drawbacks but to me, having a great appearance is more important that having other characteristics like movement and softness.  Your surgeon, whom you choose, will be happy to fill you in on the nuances of the different implants in what results they produce.

With a skin sparing, nipple sparing mastectomy, which shape implant would be better

I think an anatomical textured implant would be the best option for this particular issue. If you are looking to have a rounded upper breast appearance, ten the round would be  a better choice

Julio Garcia, MD

An anatomical/teardrop implant placed below the muscle I feel would work best.

Fred Suess, MD (retired)

The answer to this question really depends on the size and shape of your present breast.  I my practice, for most nipple sparing mastectomy patients, I usually suggest the Allergan 410 form stable silicone implant series. This series of implant comes in a variety of shapes, sizes, and projections and tends to maintain its shape well.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with breast reconstruction.  They should be able to help you choose an implant which will best suit your needs.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction

If you have decided to have an implant-based reconstruction, unless you are planning to go directly to implant, it is likely that your reconstructive plastic surgeon is first going to place a tissue expander at the time of mastectomy. The expander will then be filled over time to create a pocket in which your surgeon will place the final permanent implant. I think the anatomically shaped, form-stable (gummy bear) implants are a very good choice for the permanent implant in the breast reconstruction patient. Of course the decision to use an implant versus your own tissues, the size, shape, and style of the implant are all worked out in consultation with your plastic surgeon. Your body type, lifestyle, and aesthetic goals all play a role in the decision. Hope that helps and good luck!

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Mastectomy, which shape implant would be better?

There is no correct answer. You have a lot to deal with regarding your mastectomy. Unless you are having a simultaneous reconstruction, the issues raised can be put on the back burner. 

Both of your suggestions can provide a good result. It maybe a good ideal to seek a consult from a Board certified plastic surgeon before you have your mastectomy so that all are on the same page. 

Sincerely,

Dr. K

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS