Lumps in lips after Juvederm. Any suggestions?

I had My lips injected with Juvederm yesterday. I was told swelling is very normal for 24-48 hours after and that their might be little bumps and that I just need to massage them and they will go away. Well I am not that swollen but I have a few bumps and one very large one in my lower lip. I have been massaging it like crazy and it hasn't gone down at all. It has been 24 hours since the injection. Any advice for how to get rid of the bumps? And how long do they normally last?

Filler

The best person to help you is your treating physician. I suggest you see them in person or see another board certified surgeon or physician in your area. An in-person evaluation is needed to adequately evaluate your situation and options.

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Swelling and lumps after Lip Injections

This type of swelling or lumps after injections often can happen.  I would continue to ice and massage and wait two weeks to reassess the situation.  Best, Dr. Green

Swelling and lumps after lip injections

Thank you for sharing your photos and for your question.  I wouldn't wait another week and reassess.  This would allow for some more swelling to subside and for the lumpiness to soften.   If it is still very lumpy and uneven, then I would return your injector for a reevaluation.

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

It is common to get swelling after fillers into the lips. It is not normal to have irregularities or severe swelling. If you are unhappy you should speak to your physician and have the area injected with hyaluronidase, an enzyme that reverses the hyaluronic acid filler. For the next injections, consider Restylane Silk with cannula injection, this technique will limit the pain, swelling or bruising after the filler placement. It often takes up to two weeks for swelling to subside on its own. Find an expert in filler injections for your future treatments. Sometimes it is not filler, people can get mucoceles that are dilated sweat glands, as well.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip filler

Your photos look normal for 1 day after lip filler. The swelling will go down over the next 2 weeks. The "bumps" may be related to the injection sites, as these sometimes swell a bit more. I wouldn't recommend massaging the lips at this point as it will increase swelling. Apply ice instead. Be well, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Juvederm for lips

It is common to have swelling of your lips for several days after Juvederm injections.  Leave your lips alone and do not massage them any more.  Wait 2 weeks and if you are not happy with the results, return to your physician.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Don't worry

Your lips look normal for one day after injection.  Their is inflammation and possibly even a little bruising that occurs after injections.  This will solve over about a ten day period.  You can massage GENTLY but overdoing it will actually result in more inflammation, delaying the resolution of the lumps.  If the lumps persist after about two weeks, you could return to your injector and they may get rid of them by injecting a substand that eats up the Juvederm.  But this all appears perfectly normal at this point.  Hope this helps,

Dr Harkaway

Karen S. Harkaway, MD
Moorestown Dermatologic Surgeon