IPL or Fraxel for brown sun spots ? (photos)

I have light brown sunspots on my forehead and have had consults with two doctors to discuss removing them. The physician who has a med spa recommended Fraxel and my dermatologist recommended 2-4 treatments of IPL. Everything I read and research just confuses me more !

Easy to be confused!

Great question! Sun spots can be very annoying and all of the information on how to treat them can be very confusing. Both IPL and Fraxel will treat the sun spots, but you will likely need multiple treatments with both for them to be barely visible. The IPL will only treat the pigment while the Fraxel will treat the pigment, pore size, and skin texture. We use a Halo laser in my practice which is similar to Fraxel. The other thing that is very important is sun screen! You can spend money treating these sunspots, but if they are exposed to sun light they will come right back. Stop by for a free consultation and we can discuss your treatment options some more!

IPL is a photofacial -- get Fraxel with Microneedling or combine with IPL and microneedling/PRP

I find that fraxel is better for long term antiaging. I suggest seeing an expert in facial aging.  Best, Dr. Emer.

IPL and Fraxel for sun damage

Thank you for your question lmp121. IPL and Fraxel are laser/light based treatments that can be used to rejuvenate the face and address sun damage. Both can work well in the right hands and provide good results. concerns, recovery time, budget, etc. Of course any doctor will recommend appropriate treatments that they perform. They say there are multiple ways to skin a cat, and the same can be said about addressing sun damage. In our office we have both IPL and fractional lasers. I tailor treatment plans individually for each patient based on their. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!. 

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Fraxel or IPL

Thank you for your question. I would recommend a full face exam to assess the type of pigmentation on the face to rule out any hormonal influences such as a diagnosis of melasma. If the pigmentation is isolated instances of photo damage, either Fraxel or IPL, in the right hands, could offer a good improvement. The Fraxel treatment has to be done at the right wavelength to offer the best results. Proper aftercare with a vitamin C, sunscreen and a vitamin A derivative (retinol) is important to maximize and maintain results.

William McGillivray, MD
Victoria Physician

Thank you for the question and photo. Either one can be used IPL less recovery time and with Fraxel recovery time is prolonged. It is best to consult with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Laser Treatment for Brown Sun Spots

I can appreciate your concerns and address them with our patients daily.  We have had great success treating these described issues with the PicoSure Laser with the FOCUS lens array.  We normally recommend a series of 4 treatments, once  every 4 weeks.  This treatment is non-ablative and has almost no downtime.  You will typically have a flushed complexion for 0-2 hours.  You can put your make-up on and go back to work.  After your initial visit, a typical PicoFOCUS appointment is less than 1 hour.

The PicoFOCUS gently delivers bursts of energy deep in the dermis without causing harm to the overlaying skin.  The pulses work to break up pigment and stimulates new collagen and elastin production.  Your body’s own healing process sweeps away older, damaged tissue and ramps up skin turnover.  We sometimes pair the PicoFOCUS with a Pelleve treatment for additional skin tightening.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician