Lower bleph healing advice - just scheduled my surgery and want to be prepared! (photo)

I've scheduled my transconjunctival lower bleph (with fat transfer to cheek) for OCTOBER 4th. I would LOVE your advice re: healing. I have a list of Arnica, Bromelian, vitamin C, no salt, booze, etc. but ANY advice you have for me, I would be so grateful!

Lower blepharoplasty postsurgical care

It sounds like you have the basics down.  Avoid Advil, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and most herbal supplements, like fish oil and make sure you follow what your surgeon tells you to do.  Avoid strenuous exercising for up to 2 weeks.  Best of luck!

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing after lower eyelid surgery

Jessie,We go over everything in great detail with our patients at the pre operative appointment in verbal form, and also send written instructions with you.  The advice I can give is to follow your written instructions, and rest.  One of the things that my patients want to do is get right back in the gym or get too active right away.  Good luck and be well!

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect following a transconjuctival lower lid blepharoplasty?

First, its nice that you're preserving your fat to fill your troughs as not all surgeons do this.  You avoid hollowness down the road with fat transposition.Second, its the skill and meticulousness of your surgeon that will have the biggest impact on how quickly you heal despite taking all of those supplements.  My patients can easily have a glass of wine per day before and after the procedure without any appreciable harm.Otherwise plan to be out of circulation for a week and if you have no bruising, should be able to go out and do things, avoiding bouncy (like with running) and strenuous (like with heavy lifting) activities.  Best wishes!

Curtis Wong, MD

Lower eyelids

Personally I believe in ice and arnica.  As a side note, if your surgeon is injecting your lower eyelid fat into your cheeks do not expect a dramatic change--it is truly a minimal amount of fat. It is noticeable in the eyelid because the skin is so thin, in the cheek it won't do much.  Good luck, Jane

Lower Plus Blepharoplasty preparation

I think in general you have the right things in mind. Arnica bromelain vitamin C no salt no alcohol are all the things you should be doing. How do you like for patients to be on green vegetable. such as lime juice with green apples and kale. 
 Aside from that simply follow your doctor's orders very closely. 
Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid blepharoplasty procedure

Each surgeon on different instructions based on their experience , so it is very important to follow your surgeon's instructions.  In our practice, we ask  patients to refrain from exercising and eat a low salt diet  for 2 weeks

Tips for good healing after eyelid surgery

Healing is a very individual process but can be influenced by many modifiable factors. Not smoking, avoiding any medications that can thin the blood and cause excessive bruising (aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, vitamin E), avoiding smoking are very important ones. Be prepared prior to surgery with any medications you may need. You will want to apply ice frequently in the first 48 hours and keep your head somewhat elevated for the first few days. Typically a surgeon will have very specific post-operative instructions which have been drafted from years of experience. Follow these instructions carefully. Arnica and bromolein, although they haven't been shown in large clinical trials to make a difference with bruising/swelling after eyelid surgery, can't hurt as long as there are no contraindications to use. Good luck with your surgery!

Katherine Zamecki, MD, FACS
Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon

Packets of Frozen Peas

Small packets of frozen peas can gently be placed over the eyes and cheeks to help reduce swelling/bruising during early recovery.They are lighter weight than ice and more comfortable.They can be placed on and off for 15 minutes at a time.Best wishes, Dr. Denkler

Lower bleph healing advice - just scheduled my surgery and want to be prepared!

We all love to get a patient who is interested in participating in their recovery. With your surgery I think the most important thing you can do is maintain head elevation at night and avoid any bending over, strenuous activity, or activities where you are facing down for several days. None of the supplements you mentioned have ever been shown to have any value, but staying away from high salt content foods is a good idea. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Most surgeons have very specific protocol.

Rather than following our advice or doing your own thing, you need to look to guidance from the individual surgeon who will be responsible for your surgery.  Arnica, bromelain, supplemental vitamins probably have no role in your recovery.  Several excellent study including one specifically looking at eyelid surgery found that arnica was no better than placebo at reducing bruising.  Bromelain may reduce inflammation but it may also interfere with platelet function and therefore many surgeons including myself ask patients to avoid these products. Please carefully follow the specific preoperative and post operative directions of your surgeon.