Why does my left breast have this appearance? What's causing it to bulge on the outer side and have this rim on top? (Photo)

I had breast augmentation last October 2015. Silicone implants placed under the muscle. I noticed the top rim last year. Ive been visiting my plastic surgeon frequently the past year..as "we are continuing to monitor." Ive had 2 ultrasounds to rule out fluid. What I do have are benign simple cysts. Are these cysts causing this appearance? Got worse over time. Is this my normal breast placement? Please give me your thoughts. I need more than what im getting from my own PS at this time.

Visibility of an implant after breast augmentation

The top (superior) 'rim' of the breast is the top of your breast implant.  You are a very slender person with very little breast or fatty tissue in the area.  It is very difficult to effectively camouflage a breast implant with thin tissue.  This may not have been noticeable in the first few months after your surgery due to swelling and the fact that your implants were settling during that time.  Now that your augmentation has fully settled and the skin stretched a bit, you are seeing the implant masked by very little tissue.  We try to mask implants in thin women by using smaller, silicone implants and placing them under the muscle.  But, even the muscle can be a thin coverage layer.  It can be a tough to find a way to improve the camouflage.  Things that are tried and done currently include using fat grafting around the implant (if there is fat on your body to use as a donor) or buttressing tissue support with an outside material such as alloderm or strattice when it can be beneficial. 

Capsular contracture (the phenomena of the breast implant scar capsule firming and contracting against the implant) can also be at play if the breast feels firm and does not move well.  This can make the implant look distorted.  If your breast is very soft, then this is not happening.  But, this can contribute to visibility in some patients.

Breast Augmentation Deformity Correction

The breast implants have descended and the upper pole definition is showing likely because of the thinness of the chest tissue. The cysts likely have little roll in this but implant choice specifically profile does. A lower profile or anatomic implant may help this and/or implant re-positioning. 

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Implant edges

There are few things that causing these palpable implant edges. The first thing is lack breast tissue to camouflage the implants. The next issue is possible capsular contracture or subglandular implant over the left side. Please send front picture with your hands pressing on your hips.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Needs an in person exam

From the photographs as well as the ultrasound, it appears that the implant is intact on that side and there is not a whole bunch of fluid around it. Without feeling the tension in your breast pocket, looking for capsular contracture, and not being able to see what the implant looks like when the breast muscle is flexing, it's hard to discern just what's going on. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource to answer this question as they can look at those last two parameters I've mentioned. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS