Candidate for a full Tummy tuck and muscle repair with a straight incision? (photos)

I am 5'2", 110lbs. 1 surgery an ovarian cyst with a low horizontal scar, 1 pregnancy with a c/s cut along the existing scar, 2nd pregnancy with a vaginal birth. Interested in a tummy tuck and muscle repair, but concerned that there isn't enough loose skin for a regular horizontal scar?. If so would it be in the same low spot as my existing scar? And would my belly button stay in the same spot? Also, is it typical to get lipo contouring of the flanks, or only if you request it?

I recommend the Low Scar Abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question, and photos.  You seem very well prepared in terms of your understanding.  I think that a low scar abdominoplasty would provide you with a wonderful result.  The umbilicus is on a short stalk and stays in the same general position.  A muscle (fascial) plication is an important part of the procedure in terms of enhancing the waistline.

Best wishes on your result!

Sergio P. Maggi, MD, FACS

Director- Austin Plastic Surgery Center

Some of your questions require a consultation.

It isn't possible to offer specific answers without conducting a physical exam, but your photos suggest that a tummy tuck combined with liposuction of the flanks could provide the results you want. It appears that a horizontal incision below the existing scar would be the best approach for your tummy tuck. Whether to move the belly button as part of the procedure should be part of your discussion with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has the opportunity to examine you in person. 

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Candidate for a full Tummy tuck and muscle repair with a straight incision?

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions and pictures.

According with your pictures and information you would be a great candidate to Tummy Tuck, this is the operation consisting in the removal of excess skin and abdominal fat and muscle flaccidity correction. This situation of excess skin and relaxation of the abdominal wall is often in patients who have had weight gain and subsequent loss or in women who have had multiple pregnancies. Abdominoplasty get a flatter, firmer abdomen and a narrower waist.

Hope hear from you soon, best wishes!!

Ramon Morales, MD

Am I a candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question and photos.  I think you would see a nice improvement with a Tummy Tuck procedure.  As far as which specific operation, I would recommend you see a few Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area and get an opinion after an in-person exam.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Full Tummy Tuck

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is a plastic surgery procedure designed to flatten the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat, and to tighten the abdominal wall. Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them.

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity, family traits, age, immobility.

It would be best to consider these key points when entering consultation with a local certified plastic surgeon and determine whether you will be a candidate for the full tummy tuck... Definitions:

A variety of tummy tucks are available. Patients who only need a tightening of the abdominal muscles or removal of a small amount of skin may be best treated with a “mini-tuck.” Patients who have undergone massive weight loss, on the other hand, will probably require more extensive surgery.

An abdominoplasty is usually done under general anesthesia. An incision is made along the lower abdomen at about the pubic hair line, and another incision is made around the belly button which stays attached to the muscle.

Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall and skin below the umbilicus, belly button, only (shortest scar). Modified abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair. Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles above and below the belly button. The scar can be altered or lowered to be hidden by most panty lines and bathing suits. (Standard scar). Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.)

You're a great candidate for a full tummy tuck and flank lipo

The scar should be under your existing scar.  It will be longer than what you have, but low enough to cover with clothing.  The belly button is brought through in new skin, but in the same location that it is now.  The lipo is a separate charge for me (not everyone needs it so it's not "included" in the tummy tuck pricing, but it is perfectly safe to do in the same setting as the tummy.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Great Candidate

Thanks for your question. You are a great candidate for a TT and liposuction of the hips it would appear based on your photos. I do believe the existing scar could be used. An exam would be necessary to confirm. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member and specializes in cosmetic body contouring. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Tummy Tuck candidate

Hello, thanks so much for posting your picture you are a wonderful candidate for a Full TT and if you want you might add liposuction to waist and flanks in order to give you an hourglass shape which is so appealing. The incision could be placed as low as possible and your previous scars will be gone. The belly button would stay in the same spot, but re-shaped. 

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and straight line scar?

Hi Alicia and thanks for writing.

Looking at your pics, I think that you have ample skin to achieve a very nice incision line.  I would place the incision below your existing scars so that they are eliminated and only one scar will eventually exist. You may lose the tatoo.

Your umbilicus is a bit high on the abdomen but it should remain at about the same place.  

A full exam will be necessary to give you more specific details about your question.  Also, though a straight line is what we aim for, sometimes the scar may not heal that way, just so you know.

All the best.

Thank you for your question and the photo. You are a great candidate for a full Tummy Tuck and lipo in areas where needed. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD