Is Juvederm in my nasolabial folds the right option for me? (Photo)

Is Juvederm in my nasolabial folds the right option for me? Or will it make my mouth area more pronounced and stick out like I have something in my mouth? I have small cheeks and don't want it to look weird.

Where to place filler?

I would look into adding some volume to your cheeks and midface to create a more youthful appearance.  After adding volume to that area you may have enough of an improvement of your nasolabial folds that you won't need any or only a small amount of filler to correct that area.  Good luck with your treatments.

Livingston Physician

Voluma in the cheeks would provide a great result in improving your overall facial appearance

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on the photos you provided, it appears as though you have a deepening of the nasolabial folds in conjunction with volume loss in the upper and middle face. Because of the volume loss in the cheeks, the nasolabial fold appears much deeper. In patients like you, I like to restore the volume loss in the mid-face first with a product like Voluma. Often times, I find that the lifting in the upper and middle face that occurs with the Voluma actually significantly improve the appearance of the nasolabial fold, without any filler actually being injected into the nasolabial fold. If after full correction of the upper and middle face there is still a deepening of the nasolabial fold, I will inject some Juvederm into the nasolabial fold.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler treatment

You may want to consider some filler in both the nasolabial folds as well as the cheeks.  This will help give the look of natural volume to the face and a youthful contour.  Visit with an experienced injector in your area for a consultation.

Camille Cash, MD

Is Juvederm in my nasolabial folds the right option for me?

Thank you for your question.  In your photos there does appear to be some deflation of your cheeks so either conservative injection of your nasolabial folds with Juvaderm Ultra or Juvaderm Ultra Plus as well as the option of filler injection into your cheeks should be considered.  Fillers do not "lift" the cheeks but do make the cheeks as well as the nasolabial folds look better.  You might also consider if within your budget, injection of your prejowl area to strengthen your jaw line.  Lots of different ideas that may be helpful for your consideration.  Meet with a trusted plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area and discuss options. Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Options for Treating Nasolabial Folds with Fillers

Juvederm in the nasolabial folds is the classical treatment for that area.  We have come to appreciate that over time, all of us loose fat in our face making our folds deeper.  That volume loss (fat) occurs under the fold but also in the cheeks.  As the volume loss deflates the cheek, the overlying skin sags, making our nasolabial folds appear deeper.  So by reestablishing the volume in your cheeks it restores and improves the appearance of the cheeks, and helps the nasolabial folds, jowls and sunken eyes. Several products can be used for this Juvederm or Voluma are my "go to's" for this area.  A discussion with your provider will help you sort what is best for you.

Juvederm for my nasolabial folds?

I would consider placement of filler in the medial and lateral cheek. The reason you have NLF's is because the support from above has deflated and fallen. Placement of filler there will improve the look of the NLF. If you place filler in your NLF, it will look very unnatural and simian in appearance. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Softening Nasolabial Folds

Dear bvcxz:

Looking at your photos, I would recommend initial cheek augmentation with a filler like Voluma and re-assess nasolabial folds in 2-4 weeks.  Cheek filling can sometimes lift and soften your nasolabial folds.  Please see an expert injector.  All the best.

Is Juvederm In My Nasolabial Folds The Right Option For Me?

Thank you for your excellent question and for sharing your photographs.  Based on your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler such as Juvederm to soften your nasolabial folds.  You might also benefit from a filler such as Voluma for your cheek area to restore age-related volume loss and to provide an upward lift.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved with a combination of Juvederm and Voluma.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes!  

Facial fillers are injected to improve symmetry, volume, and contours of the face. Different fillers are used in different areas of your face. 

To improve the nasolabial folds, filler (Juvederm Ultra Plus) may be injected to reduce the shadowing created by the overly tissue. In patients with small cheeks, it may be a good idea to augment the cheek with a deeply injected filler (Juvederm Voluma) to recruit the skin up onto the cheek, which will make your nasolabial fold less prominent and create a more balanced face for a more subtly natural result. The cheek injections last longer and you'll end up needing less Juvederm under the nasolabial fold. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Which filler?

Thank you for your question. You seem to be an excellent candidate for Juvederm in your nasolabial folds. When placed properly, it will simply help to evert or blend the parenthesis lines around your mouth - it should not make your mouth stick out, or even affect your mouth at all. The product typically lasts around 6-9 months, and while it can be initially bumpy, it does smooth out. As with any injectable, there can be some bruising and/or swelling to the area for 3-5 days. Best of luck!