8 weeks post op. Why has abdominal incision opened? It appears infected? Does left nipple area appear infected as well? (Photo)

I am concerned about how the abdominal incision has opened in areas, especially the area below naval. Is this a normal healing process ? How could this wound be corrected? Left nipple area is not healing compared to right nipple. Is this also normal or has my nipple become infected?

Skin necrosis after TT and mastopexy aug

It can happen with any excisional procedure that violates the native blood supply.  Local wound care (keeping things moist) following by a scar revision is the answer.  Most people do fine.  

Post-Op Mommy Makeover Infections

With the amount of time having passed since your procedure I would say that the best thing for you to do is to see your surgeon right away to make sure that the incisions are not infected and are healing properly. Good luck to you.

Wounds after breast lift and tummy tuck

Wounds such as these need to be treated by allowing the area to slowly contract over time. It may take 6-8 weeks. You should have your surgeon assess your wounds and possibly prescribe an antibiotic cream for them. Also you can help speed up the healing process by eating a good diet and taking multiple vitamins as well as Vitamin C daily.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Healing problem post op

In addition to the other physicians advice who have answered your question. I have seen something like this in a patient who was a vegan and just not getting enough nutrition and especially protein to heal her wounds. You might want to increase your protein intake with some high protein drinks as well.

Peter P. Kay, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Infected Incisions after Mommy Makeover?

Thank you for your pictures. In my opinion, you have skin loss of your abdomen and of your nipple/areola complex.  This would require local wound care to complete healing.  Once healed, you will require a revision.  Best wishes.

8 weeks post op. Why has abdominal incision opened? It appears infected? Does left nipple area appear infected as well?

Regardless of the reason for your poor healing results, you will need some guidance on the treatment of your wounds. Please contact your plastic surgeon to find out your best treatment options for your abdomen and breast wounds. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Follow up with your surgeon

Please go in to see your operating surgeon. This needs to be evaluated and treated in person. Best wishes.

Dean Vistnes, MD.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make-over - incisions opening after 8 weeks

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• I am sorry to tell you this is not a normal healing process.
  • You need to see your surgeon to determine what is causing the wounds to re-open -
  • It may be something simple like a reaction to sutures - or poor healing or infection.
  • Most importantly - you wounds need the personal care of your plastic surgeon.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation / Breast Implants/ Tummy Tuck /Liposuction/ Revision Surgery

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate wound care treatment at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Wound dehiscence

I'm sorry to hear about your mommy makeover healing issues.  The areola and tummy tuck incision wounds appear to be wound dehiscence.  This is a fancy way of saying that an incision has opened up.  There are many reasons for an incision to open up including:
-infection
-too much tension
-not enough blood supply
-not enough sutures
-suture extrusion (sutures being pushed out by the body)

Unfortunately, its hard to tell from the photos alone which of these factors could be the cause.  Your plastic surgeon will be the best to evaluate and recommend appropriate treatments to help heal these areas.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD