7 months post tummy tuck with fluid collection. What are my options?

7 months ago I have a mini tummy tuck and had a seroma and hematoma issues for the first 2 months. My tummy is still numb but overall doing better. I woke up one morning 7 seven later and after visit to doctor, ER room and Surgeon they determined I have 2 abdominal fluid collections. Is this due to tummy tuck? Has any experienced this with their patients before?

7 months post tummy tuck with fluid collection. What are my options

I'm sorry your having such a difficult time with your recovery. I have seen delayed fluid collections after tummy tuck surgery. Unfortunately if it is large it will likely need to be aspirated, and if it continues to be a problem you may need to have an additional procedure to remove the seroma capsule. Good Luck! 

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Seroma

It likely is from surgery and at times you need a drain replaced to resolve the issue. If it goes on too long without a drain you may form a permanent cavity that will need to be formally excised to get it to go away. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Chronic Seroma

Although not dangerous, these fluid collections are not allowing your belly to be as flat as possible. You will need a surgery at this point to remove the capsules of the seromas.  However, you should NOT have another drain placed.  Instead, sutures should be carefully placed to 'obliterate' the cavities. Avoiding drains means avoiding seromas. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Fluid 7 months afte mini tummy tuck

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Yes, the fluid collections they found in your most recent visit are probably related to the hematoma and seroma problems you had for the first 2 months after surgery.  Depending on symptoms and whether they are causing pain or deformity, you may need exploration.  All of this is best discussed with your surgeon in person as he/she will have your best interests in mind and knows your situation best.   Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon