Will having Vaginoplasty help prevent prolapse from occurring?

Vaginoplasty and prolapse

While vaginoplasty can correct the vaginal laxity and help with sexual issues it will likely not prevent prolapse as this is due to deeper and more severe damage to the tissues.  Thanks for your question.  Dr. ODell

Vaginoplasty does not prevent prolapse

Prolapse is caused by damage to the supports of the pelvic organs - the vagina, the bladder, the rectum and the uterus. These organs are damaged by extreme stress usually at the time of vaginal childbirth. Some women experience more stress with childbirth than others and some women are born with weaker supports than others. Lifestyle and medical issues can add more stress to these supports. Vaginoplasty targets none of these supports. It simply tightens the vaginal and perineal muscles that rest on these supports and has no effect, positive or negative, on these supports. That is why it is crucial to assess and repair these structures at the time of vaginoplasty. A vaginoplasty constructed on a foundation of damaged pelvic supports is doomed to fail. The only way to prevent prolapse reliably is to bypass vaginal childbirth at every opportunity. Ask any female pelvic reconstructive surgeon, urogynecologist or gynecologist what their preferred mode of delivery when it's their pelvis that's involved.

Vaginoplasty does not prevent prolapse

Thank you and great question.A vaginal tightening procedure in itself will not prevent or repair prolapse.   If you have been diagnosed with prolapse then this can be addressed at the time of you vaginoplasty and therefore help repair the prolapse as well as tighten your vagina.Best of luck.

No, vaginoplasty doesn't prevent prolapse from occuring

Hello Megan, Thanks for your question. Vaginoplasty is not intended as a preventative measure for the development of prolapse. Similarly, vaginoplasty is not a treatment for prolapse. I have performed vaginoplasty procedures on women who do not have prolapse, many of these women haven't had any vaginal deliveries and thus their pelvic floor support is intact. Now, if you've had vaginal deliveries and have some form of prolapse then this should certainly be repaired at the same time as your desired vaginal tightening. You should be evaluated by an experienced reconstructive and cosmetic vaginal surgeon who could best explain your examination and options. There are now some excellent non-surgical options that women have to choose from which provide excellent resolution of vaginal looseness symptoms without the risks associated with surgery. Look at link below for explanation of the many options and for recent testimonials.  Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Vaginoplasty help prevent vaginal prolapse

There is no way of answering your question definitively.   I have never met a woman who wanted vaginal tightening who didn't have prolapse . I have been fixing prolapse for more than 25 years and have been performing rejuvenation for 16 years. Usually when I treat someone who wants rejuvenation I also diagnose all other prolapse conditions and offer to fix them simultaneously and in some cases I would NOT perform vaginal rejuvenation without fixing the prolapse.  Why?  Sometimes the prolapse is so severe that tightening the vagina is not going to be rewarding unless the other areas of prolapse is fixed.  If you are considering vaginoplasty I would encourage you to have an exam by a surgeon who understands prolapse so they can tell you exactly you condition might be prior to engaging in vaginoplasty surgery.
John R Miklos MDAtlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Will vaginoplasty prevent prolapse?

The answer is "yes," "maybe" or "no," depending on your anatomy. The answer is very personally related to your own anatomy and cannot be answered satisfactorily without an in-person evaluation by  a surgeon skilled in vaginal tightening procedures who is also a gynecologist or urogynecologist skilled in prolapse surgery.
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Vaginoplasty Procedures

The lining of the vagina can be reduced, removing excess and redundant mucosa decreasing the diameter of the canal. The muscle ring, pubococcygeus, at the entrance or introitus can be tightened.  These procedures along with exercises such as Kegles can help keep the muscle tone in this area.  Aesthetic Vaginoplasty, in many cases, can increase friction during intercourse, giving women more control of vaginal muscles, increasing sexual satisfaction, while also creating a more attractive and appealing appearance to the vaginal area.

Prolapse

Hello. Thank you for your question while vaginoplasty can treat some forms of prolapse and can potentially delay its occurrence, it cannot all together prevent it. A better option to treat and potentially prevent pelvic prolapse is ThermiVa. Also keep Kegeling :-)~Dr Poucher