I would like to reduce, remove my double chin. My question is what type of surgery would correct this? (Photos)

About 12 years ago, I underwent corrective jaw surgery along with5 years of braces to correct an overbite. The surgery went well, but after a year or 2, my jaw reverted back 50% from what the surgery improved. Ever since it receded, this has resulted in a larger double chin. My jaw is not necessarily as big as a concern as getting rid of the double chin and restoring shape to my face.

chin implant and neck lift procedures

The limited photographs demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile along with fatty deposits in the neck. The fatty deposits in the neck are most likely located above and below the platysma muscle which will require surgery to remove them, not simple liposuction. The fatty deposits located underneath the muscle must be surgically removed, and then a platysma plasty is required. A chin implant can be placed through the same incision. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which can correspond with the patient's unique anatomy. For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below

Double chin

Thank you for your question and pictures submitted. You look young enough to recommend sub mental liposuction, which can be carried out with minimal sedation and local anesthesia, and there is great likelihood that the skin will shrink without any additional treatment . You should have a very satisfying result. 

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin lipo

Thanks for sharing.  You appear to e a good candidate for chin liposuction and even possible buccal fat pad reduction. Kybella is an option as well. An in person consult would be needed to determine exactly what and how this would be performed.  These procedures can be performed under local anesthesia and minimal oral sedation.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Double chin treatment.

You would need a face to face examination however it's likely that a combination of chin augmentation with submental liposuction will provide a significant benefit for you and improve your profile.  Often the results are dramatic and very gratifying.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Choosing the correct procedure

It's unfortunate that you did not maintain the results of your original surgery.

Based on your pictures your primary problem is a bony imbalance.

I'm guessing you're not motivated to undergo John surgery.

A chin implant may be a much easier procedure to address this imbalance.

You appear to carry a little extra body fat.

For those who do liposuction may certainly help but I don't believe it's your primary problem.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Double Chin/Restore Face Shape-- Kybella, VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermage/Ultherapy, Fillers like Radiesse/Sculptra

For treating a double chin and facial contouring, in my practice we combine VASER with ThermiRF and find best results in contouring, as long as there is no need for neck skin removal.  Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Treatment of double chin

From your photos it appears that you may be a good candidate for liposuction of the submentum or possibly Kybella.  An in person consultation can give you a better idea of what options are available to you.  You may also want to consider or discuss a chin augmentation which could help to give you more projection.

David Stoker, MD

Correcting double chin

Thank you for asking about your double chin .

• I am sorry you lost the results of your jaw surgery to some extent.
  • I believe your best surgery will be a mid-neck lift with removal of the excess fat and tightening of the platysma muscle beneath.
  • Fat can be removed with liposuction or surgery - I prefer to remove the central fat surgically for precise results.
  • You will get an even better result if an extended chin implant is placed at the same time - it will add structural support that will make your surgical result as good as possible

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I would like to reduce, remove my double chin.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is excess skin and fat "double chin".  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery combined with removal of the excess fat and skin from below the chin.

Hope this helps.

Surgery to reduce double chin

The typical surgery to help reduce a double chin would be liposuction.  You appear to be a good candidate for this procedure based on your photos.  I would consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon