Doctor suggests CoolSculpting vs liposculpture-although I want predictable results and not averse to down time.

This is not a hasty decision for me. Am a body fitness model and have 1 1/2 lbs to 2 to lose in arms, back, abdominal area- which cant seem to shed due to new meds taken: Lamictal, allegra, advair, singular. My MD said the 10 per cent risk of complications in Lipo is not worth it without much research on my end and definitely not on her end (poss of being sued) Has been hard to find anyone who does coolsulpt arms and a high cost/results ratio for that procedure. Any recommendations.?

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsculpting to reduce fat with no down time

Coolsculpting is an excellent way to reduce fat with no down time.  In order to assess if you are a good candidate, an in person consultation is necessary.  Please consult with a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.  I often combine Thermage with coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.  Thermage is a great way to tighten the skin since I find in this area it is usually a combination of loose skin and extra fat.

It is difficult to say without photos or a consultation. I recommend obtaining a consultation for CoolSculpting. There is a list of places that offer it on the CoolSculpting website. Best of luck. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Depends

If you have elastic skin, liposuction may not be a bad option.  Sometimes I recommend Coolsculpting over liposuction if I feel that the patient's skin will not recoil and they will have loose, drapey skin after liposuction.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

See more than one expert

If you are considering Coolsculpting, I recommend that you consult with 2 or 3 Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who offer Coolsculpting. Most plastic surgeons also perform liposuction so you can get the best advice about your area of concern between the two procedures.

CoolSculpting vs Liposculpture (Liposuction, Lipocontouring)

Dear Roya8368:

Neither surgical lipocontouring nor CoolSculpting (CS) are weight reduction procedures. Both will reduce fat in a specified area but it is up to you to maintain the volume loss and therefore the weight loss. 

The FDA will not allow Zeltiq to advertise CS of the arms as it was not requested in their marketing indications but there are Certified CS physicians who will perform "off-label" CS of the arms with excellent but limited improvement. 

Be forewarned that while CS is tried and true, it is limited and will not "contour" per se. If that is your intent, as a body fitness model, then a well experienced and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs lipo-contouring with significant experience of the arms may be your best option. I am also not aware of anywhere near a 10% complication rate for Lipo; please discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon. 

I hope this was helpful to you. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting is effective, but liposculpture is probably the best option.

Liposuction should not have a 10% complication rate especially since you probably dont have a lot of fat. On the other hand, coolsulpting is very effective for inner thighs and arms.

But frankly it sounds to me like you should consider liposculpture because it is really pretty safe (especially using the tumescent technique which employs local anesthesia only) and you get results from multiple areas much faster.

Andrew B. Menkes, MD
Mountain View Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolscupting versus Liposuction

there is no better treatment for contouring than liposuction.  And in the right hands by someone meticulous who does hi definition procedures for models like you,  Coolsculpting has many contouring flaws, I see this in my practice daily specifically in the upper back, arms, and hips/thighs.  The stomach is more predictable but still is not perfect as there are shelfs that can be formed and only 10-20% improvement in one treatment, so mutliple applications are needed.  Results also are not immediately evident.  Although there is some downtime (few days of drainage, few weeks of swelling and compression) the ultimate results will be much better if performed by someone excellent.  Good luck! Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting vs Liposuction

Excellent question. Coolsculpting and liposuction are both effective in removing excess fat. If you are looking for a non invasive way to remove fat, Coolsculpting is an excellent choice. There are some limitations. A non-invasive method will deliver a non invasive result. Liposuction is minimally invasive, but delivers a surgical result and is predictable. Every surgical procedure has risks. The risk of any surgical procedures are further reduced when performed by an experienced plastic surgeon not just a cosmetic surgeon. It is very important to do your homework and know the difference. The best way to know your risks and benefits is to consult with a plastic surgeon who has experience in SmartLipo and has the results to show you. Make sure that the doctor is specifically trained in plastic surgery.

Stanley Okoro, MD