Do I need a lift? (photos)

Hello, I'm getting 500cc silicone implants. I would like your opinion on what type of lift I would need, if any. I had an explant a year and a half ago. Thank you!

Previous surgery and nipple abnormalities

There is so much to talk about here. Why did you have your implants out in the first place, now you want them back in? Why 500cc, which is so large? I assume you had a problem, like cap con, so how do you guarantee you won't get it again? These need to be addressed, but the good news is that even an implant as small as 300 wil probably give you enough volume so you won't need the lift. I recommend you augment no matter what first since otherwise it will really stretch out your areolae scar. And make sure you address your old problem NOW as there will be a strategy in place do whatever it was doesn't happen again... Don't want to have to explant theses too.

Do I need a lift with placement of 500 mL implants?

Based simply on your photographs I would say that if I saw you in my practice I would seek the option of a Benelli lift at the time of your augmentation based upon the appearance of your breasts once the implants had been inserted.  I suspect that a lift may not be necessary, but since your right nipple areolar appears lower than your left in the photograph I would want the option to raise it slightly with a small incision that usually heals with minimal visibility.  In someone whose tissues are relaxed, it often proves to be unnecessary especially if you are willing to accept a normal degree of asymmetry.  Discuss the issue with your ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon and allow him/her to make their best decision and give you their best advice.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Lift Needed

Thank you for reaching out and posting pictures! Great question. There are three things that I look for when a patient presents with sagging breasts. From the single photo you posted it appears that your breasts are sagging. These are the things that determine if I am going to suggest a lift. 1) Is the measurement from your sternal notch (that little depression above your breast bone) to the nipple longer than 20cm? (8 inches). 2) Does your nipple point downwards? 3) Is your nipple below the crease under your breast? I hope this information helps! Best of Luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Do I need a lift?

You might need a lift, but probably not. I think I would recommend getting the implant and lettting it settle for 3 months before deciding on a lift. You are definitely going to need one of the "overfilled" silicone implants like the Natrelle Inspira model as opposed to the standard fill like th Natrelle Style 15. You need that extra central fill because of the flatness across the center of your breasts.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Lift or not

Whether you need a lift or not is dependent on the size of your implant(which determines the radius) and your nipple to inframammary crease distance; the radius of your implant cannot be longer than your nipple to inframammary crease distance; if it is, then you need a lift; the best lift outcomes are achieved by a vertical mastopexy when having simultaneous augmentation performed. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Do I need a breast lift (photos)??

Strictly speaking, NO, you absolutely do NOT need a breast lift.  In aesthetic surgery, indications for treatment are in great measure determined by patient based considerations:  the size and shape of breasts you want, your scar tolerance, activity level, preferred clothing, importance of nipple sensation, etc.  No RealSelf responder knows the answer to these questions better than YOU yourself.  If your preference is against a lift or peri-areola tightening procedure, defer until after implants have settled, then decide.  Also, without measuring landmarks on your body, feeling your skin elasticity, and knowing dimensions and type of your planned 500cc devices, it's impossible to offer you a data based surgical recommendation.  Go with your own gut, and your surgeon's recommendation.

Steve Laverson, MD