After 3 large babies my stomach is stretched out very badly, what kind of Tummy Tuck will I need to get a flat tummy? (photos)

I had 3 large babies and got stretched out very badly. what kind of tummy tuck will I need to get a flat tummy???? I heard of more than one type of tummy tuck procedure. I am gonna be 52 and decided I should do something for myself but kind of afraid of pain and long recovery time

Standard Tummy Tuck

You are a candidate for a standard tummy tuck incorporating skin and fat removal along with muscle repair.   You , in addition, may need mesh to provide a strong repair.   You surgeon will be able to tell during surgery.   My Best,  Dr Commons

After 3 large babies my stomach is stretched out very badly, what kind of Tummy Tuck will I need to get a flat tummy?

There are different types of tummy tuck, and from your photos, I believe you would benefit from a full tummy tuck with repair of the abdominal muscle wall.  Depending on the quality of your connective tissues, this may require the use of an implantable material such as Seri Surgical Scaffold which can help strengthen the muscle repair.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive tummy tuck experience.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

FLAT TUMMY

Well a full tummy tuck is the best operation it seems. You need to be examined because you may not be able to be as flat as you think. There is a limit to how tight we can make the muscles and sometimes the muscles are so stretched out that it is impossible to make them totally fat. That is not to say that you can have a great result but you need someone to be realistic with you about how tight they can actually make the muscles for you. As always, losing as much weight as possible prior to a tummy tuck will only enhance your results long term.

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Tummy Tuck candidate

Hello, thanks so much for your inquiry and for your pictures. I would recommend a full tummy tuck which includes abdominal muscle wall repair. 

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Hi-

You would excellent with an abdominoplasty aka tummy tuck with liposuction of your flanks for optimal shape. The operation allows tightening of your core with removal of the excess lower abdominal skin and fat. I recommend to try and achieve your goal body weight prior to undergoing your operation to get you the best result. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that you trust and find out the best option for you. Good Luck!! 

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

After 3 large babies my stomach is stretched out very badly, what kind of Tummy Tuck will I need to get a flat tummy

I think you will need a full tummy tuck with some degree of muscle tightening. It is hard to say without examining you how much the muscles can be tightened. That is controlled by the amount of visceral fat, or fat inside your abdomen, underneath the muscle. I think the tummy tuck will likely make you flatter, but I do not think you will be flat due to the visceral fat. There will likely still be some degree of roundedness to your abdomen.

Julio Garcia, MD

Thanks for your question and photographs.  It is difficult to judge but it does appear that you are overweight and no surgery should be contemplated until you are at a healthy and maintainable weight even though not necessarily an ideal weight.  Excess intra-abdominal fat prevents maximal tightening of the stomach wall during a tummy tuck and consequently should be reduced by diet.  Once this has occurred and you are at a maintainable healthy weight a full tummy tuck will allow for tightening of the muscle and fascia of your stomach wall that has been weakened by the pregnancies.  A full tummy tuck will also enable removal of a wide ellipse of excess skin and fat between your belly button and your pubic area with the remaining upper abdominal skin pulled down tightening both your upper and lower stomach.  A reasonable goal would be to achieve flattening of your stomach but a perfectly flat stomach is probably reserved for patients with very low BMIs.  Make sure you see an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Abdominoplasty

You will benefit greatly from shifting the protruding abdomen back into your center of gravity.  It appears you have a significant muscle weakness or separation.  the diagnosis of a true hernia is unlikely but will need to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon. Pin can be ameliorated with the use of pain pumps and in our practice we have been impressed that epidural anesthesia as opposed to general anesthesia accelerates recovery.  Do your best to get your weight to your ideal the best you can prior to surgery

Tummy Tuck

You would need the full standard TT and probably also some liposuction. It would require an exam to be sure but the photos look like you carry a lot of weight internally in the upper abdomen and that cannot be corrected by any type of surgery, so it may be necessary to lose weight first if you want to optimize your results. Here's an easy way to get an idea about that....lie flat on the floor and if your abdomen sticks up higher off the floor than your lower ribs, you probably have the problem I mentioned with internal fat. Once your upper stomach area is level with or lower than your ribs you are reacy for the surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How to Manage a Very Distended Tummy

You will benefit from some weight loss first, and then a full tummy tuck.  The tummy procedure will require a strong repair of your abdominal muscle lining to close the likely significant separation of your muscles.  Reinforcement may also be necessary.

I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.  In addition, getting close to your goal weight prior to surgery will increase the likelihood of a better outcome.  This is because when you are heavy, the extra weight in your abdomen adds to the distension and pressure on the muscle repair.

Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD