Will my surgeon charge me again to change my implant size? (photos)

Pettie 5'1,120 pounds 350cc, I got a very natural full C not felling a much different with clothes on from when I was a 34B. I want to go in to get a Full D what CC size would be ideal? For my body type. Looking for middle cleavege with a regular bra as of now I still have a 3 finger gap with a regular (not push up) bra

When pIatients choose the implant size

they are responsible for whatever results from that.  And if you chose the size, then you should anticipate being charged again for everything.  If your surgeon chose and guaranteed you a certain look that was not achieved (but I can't think of any surgeon doing this), then your surgeon has some burden if you did not achieve your documented outcome.  Otherwise most surgeons have revision policies that address your situation so find out what your surgeons' is if you have not already.  Wider implants will help diminish the space between your mounds.

Implant Sizing

Using cup sizes as a measure of augmentation is a very bad idea.  Not only will it not tell you how you look in the mirror (the most important thing), it is impossible for surgeons to guarantee a cup size, it's just too illusive.
Instead, focus on in office sizing to determine your aesthetic goal. 

Keep in mind you anatomy will dictate your outcome, and you have a wide gap that shouldn't be filled with large implants: this will lead to severe complications. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Will my surgeon charge me again to change my implant size?

Thank you for your question and pictures. I think that based on your pictures, you have a very significant change. However, that does not guarantee that it met your goals and expectations. In regards to revisions, each surgeon has a policy regarding this, so you need to discuss this with your surgeon. Often times, in an effort to make you happy, a surgeon will discount or even waive his or her professional fee for such a procedure, but they are not able to dismiss the costs of the facility, the surgical equipment, or the anesthesia providers. So you are almost assured that a revision, even to just change the size of the implants, will require some cost. Not to mention the cost of a new set of implants as you get no credit for a "trade-in."

Hope this helps!

Putting in new implants does cost money

Each surgeon is different but please understand that switching implants is still an entirely new surgery which requires that all equipment, medications, staff salaries, insurance, rent and all other expenses need to be covered or the surgeon is paying for it out of their own pocket. So check on how much this will cost you.

Each surgeon has a written policy regarding revisions and you should have been given that before your surgery. None of us can tell you what that doctor's policy is, why not ask him? In examining your photos, your post op gap appears identical to the preop picture. It may be possible to narrow it somewhat, but surgical results always mirror, to some extent, the preoperative anatomy.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for the question. Keep in mind as you are thinking about your goals that sometimes adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsule adjustments) may be necessary to achieve the outcome you are looking for. Also keep in mind that there is no accurate/reliable/predictable correlation between size/profile breast implant utilized and cup size achieved.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "up a cup size” or "full D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.

Policy regarding coverage of expenses for revisionary surgery will vary from office to office and probably on a case-by-case basis as well.  For example, costs of revisionary surgery may include anesthesia/surgery center fees and/or discounted surgeon's fees.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.