How successful is fat transfer to Breasts using lipo or tummy tuck?

I had a consultation with my plastic surgeon in Mountain View regarding getting lipo and fat transfer and he kind of discouraged me from getting this done. I had 28 year old silicone implants removed several months ago and I am not happy with the symmetry and concave on one breast. I am wary about getting implants again due to the problems I had before. He said my stomach has (rectus something). That repair would be a MAJOR operation. I have some fat on my back and some love handles however.

In your case, fat transfer can be very effective to improve size or shape asymmetries or dents or concave areas.  Fat transfer to the breasts can be an effective form of breast augmentation for up to one cup size increase.

Fat transfer to breasts

Provided your surgeon has a lot of experience which large volume fat transfer and a good technique, making use of the extracted fat gained from liposuction is generally a pretty rewarding thing.

There is more to it than just reinjecting the fat though, so make sure that this is within your surgeon's main clinical interests.

Alexander Aslani, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting breasts

It works but it is more complicated than it seems. How the fat is handled from extraction to purification to injection all will have some bearing on results.  A single stage fat grafting, depending upon the amount available to transfer can be somewhat disappointing if you are expecting an implant equivalent. Sometimes a second or third stage is required to get the expected result.  PureGraft and Hydrasolve have both given us better results in our hands.

R. Laurence Berkowitz, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

When having liposuction

my patients are always offered the chance to fill out depressions or improve contours with fat grafting... and I don't charge extra when having liposuction procedures.  The success of fat grafting in breasts are well documented and you can help improve symmetry with fat grafting.  Liposuction has to be done with low pressure and I use PureGraft kits to process fat to make it as best possible.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast augmentation with fat - does it work ?

We can achieve a moderate augmentation using autologous fat grafting - sometimes a touch-up procedure is required to achieve a patient's volume goals. I think silicone breast implants are far more reliable and cost-effective way to augment the breast.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Breast Fat transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS