Wanted saline, doctor is highly suggesting silicone. I am 5'3", 112 pounds. Thin in chest, used to be DD now I am an A/B (Photo)

I have very little breast tissue and you see my ribs through my chest.my doctor said that silicone would give me much better results.I like the silicone but am weary because of the continued MRIs my doctor told me I would need to check for silent ruptures.Without insurance covering it,the MRIs would add up over time and I am not sure I want to make that financial commitment.Would saline give me bad results since I lack breast tissue?How many years apart do you suggest MRIs for silicone implants?

Find the right surgeon to help you.

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation

Silicone vs. saline

In my experience, patients are MUCH happier with silicone breast implants.  I have had several patients who went from silicone implants to saline implants in the past because of the inappropriate and unwarranted fears associated with silicone implants.  ALL of them later regretted the switch, and insisted on going back to silicone.  The FDA recommendation regarding MRI's after silicone implant placement is undergoing review, and does not apply for many years anyway.  The cost of the MRI is also decreasing as newer technology is being introduced.

Saline vs. Silicone implants

The new cohesive gel implants offer a more natural look than the saline.  Also, you risk rippling with saline implants. As far as an MRI goes, it is not mandatory nor usually needed for routine follow up.   You should get the type of implant you are comfortable with, but the new gels are the best overall choice.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

FDA Schedule Not Mandatory

Hello,That schedule is a recommendation, and far too frequent based on known rupture rates. Additionally, hi definition MRI is becoming mainstream and will be much cheaper. Most women will not need any surveillance for 10 years. Silicone gel is a superior performer, especially in thin women, and the new form stable, highly cohesive, shaped implants are probably best for women with your lean body type.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Saline vs. Silicone implants

Thank you for your question and photos.  From what I can see, you are petite and from your description it sounds like you do not have much breast tissue.  Even with placement under the muscle, you are at high risk for visible wrinkling and rippling of the saline implant (much higher rates compared to silicone gel).  If you were my patient, I would agree that silicone gel implants will give you a more natural result with less wrinkling.  The FDA is in charge of "labeling" all medical devices and drugs.  As a requirement to bring back silicone gel implants to the general market in 2006, the FDA labeled the implants for cosmetic use in patients over age 22  and recommend MRIs every 3 years.  Unfortunately, these recommendations are based on no data.  I advise my patients about the labeling instructions and I leave it up to the patient to decide if she wants to spend the money on an MRI when there are no signs or symptoms.   MRI tests can be very helpful if the patient is symptomatic and there is a question of rupture.  Only you can make the decision regarding which implant is best for your, but most plastic surgeons would recommend silicone in your situation.  Good luck,MHS

Wanted saline, doctor is highly suggesting silicone.

You should get what you want, but the odds you will be pleased with the saline product are small. Slender patients with minimal breast tissue thickness can look good with saline implants when in clothing, but the feel will be very unnatural in all likelihood and the chance of visible rippling is quite high. The FDA does not mandate MRIs and I have thousands of patients with silicone implants and I doubt any of them are putting out the money for regular MRIs. The suggestion from the FDA is that you get them, but whether or not you follow through is up to you. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Saline or Silicone Breast Implants

Thanks for your question.  I would recommend that you consider silicone cohesive gel implants.  In my practice and I believe most practices the idea or repeated MRIs is not advocated despite the (unwarranted?) standards set by the FDA.  The likelihood of bothersome rippling and visible waviness from a saline implant is high in your situation (thin stretched breast tissue) and I'd have serious second thoughts about the use of saline if you were my patient.  Enjoy the video above for more information about breast implants.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Saline breast implants could accomplish your goal

Saline breast implants can work. The main difference is that you might feel the implant on the side and under the breast a little more than with the silicone, but it is uncommon to see the implant there. To see before and after photos of women who chose saline implants and are similar to you in height, weight and starting cup size, click on the link below. For more information about this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon