How long realistically is a Mommy Makeover recovery ? I work in a office.

Tummy tuck healing ? time frame Breat implants and reduction ? time frame 48 and in pretty good shape 148 lbs .

Mommy makeover recovery

Dear Patti,

The main part of a mommy makeover recovery will be the tummy tuck part.  It takes about 2-3 weeks for most people to feel like they have recovered enough to be able to take care if themselves and return to work.

Dr. Remus Repta

Healing and Recovery after a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Full Recovery.... 8-12 weeks

A mommy makeover is a great procedure because it combines breast recontouring, tummy tuck, and liposuction all in one procedure.  However, the recuperation is going to be a little longer doing all that together (but it is only one operation and one time off from work!).  Allowing yourself adequate recovery time gives you a much better chance of an uneventful, healthy, and fabulous result. It is great that you are preparing ahead and wanting to be realistic about your expectation!  The exact timeline for healing depends on the specific procedures performed and health of the individual having the surgery.  Being healthy and in shape definitely helps!  Typically, after a mommy makeover with tummy tuck and breast augmentation/lift, the worst part initially is muscle tightness of the chest and abdomen.  You will need to use your pain meds regularly for the first few days.  We also prescribe a muscle relaxer to help with the tightness.  By three days, most people are typically off narcotics and have switched to Tylenol (Advil and Motrin etc. have to be avoided due to increased risk of bleeding).  Most of the time patients are off pain medication completely by one week post-op.  You will be getting up and walking immediately after surgery, but should limit yourself to walking around in the house for the first week. After one-week you can get more ambitious, but no heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for 4-6 weeks after surgery.  Your surgeon will adjust that timeline depending on your healing.  Plan that even with your desk job you will need to take a full two weeks off from work.  Don’t try to jump ahead and do too much too son, or you will slow your recovery phase.  Usually, by 8-12 weeks patients will feel fully recovered and begin to enjoy their results!

Mommy Makeover Recovery

The recovery from a mommy makeover should not be more than 24 HOURS! With a NO Drain technique and a 24 hour recovery protocol, all of my patients are recovered at 24 hours, meaning that they can go for a long walk, go out to dinner, go shopping or even so a load or two of laundry. They are not healed and their tummy is a little sore if they lift or cough but they do very well. If you have an office job, you should be able to get back to work in 4 to 5 days after the surgery if you want to.

“How is that possible?” you may ask. No drains help a lot, but the biggest thing is that we use motion. We get you in a shower just 4 hours after your surgery and start you on a special exercise and stretching program right after that shower. It works great and you do not need any heavy narcotics either. We only use anti-infammatories.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover aftercare

After a mommy makeover, it takes time for the implants to settle (if you got implants) and it takes time for the swelling to resolve. This can take up to 6 months so I don't usually recommend any revisions for that time. Specific questions about problems with the surgery are usually best directed to the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery. Thanks for your question!

Recovery Time for a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift

Typically you can return to work in 10-14 days. You can start light exercise at 21 days. You can resume all activities at 2 months after surgery.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Return to work after MM

Thank you for your question. The recovery time after a TT and BA is different for each patient and returning to work after surgery depends on your job responsibilities. I usually allow my patients to return to work after 2 weeks if the job is not physically strenuous. Best of luck in your recovery.

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

The tummy tuck will be the component of the Mommy Makeover which will require the longest recovery. In general, most patients who work a desk job, take 2 weeks off for recovery.  You will need help at home for several days if you have small children.  It will be 6 to 9 weeks before exercise is recommended, with the exception of walking.  Follow your Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Recovery after Mommy Makeover

The tummy tuck will be the component of the Mommy Makeover which will require the longest recovery. You should expect remain at home for two weeks after the procedure. Most patients can return to a desk job after two weeks. After two weeks you're still not completely healed and recovered. You should refrain from activity that stresses your core for a total of eight weeks. After eight weeks you should be able to resume most activity but aggressive abdominal activity such as sit ups and crunches should wait for twelve weeks as long as your recovery is uneventful.  Each surgeon has his or her own recommendations. It is important to be compliant with your follow-up and follow your surgeon's directions. Good luck.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover recovery

I would allow two weeks following mommy makeover before returning to work if your job is not physically demanding.  Follow the advice of your operative surgeon of course and rest when you return home in the evenings.