Lipo/c Removal - Thighs (360), Flanks, Back and Abdomen, is this considered a high volume procedure?

I had lipo on my thighs (360), flanks, abdomen and back...almost the entire body i guess and had about 5 litres removed. Is this considered a high volume procedure? I'm 2 weeks post op but still very swollen and certain areas around my body are tender to touch and almost have no feeling. The result that I saw and loved the first day immediately post op is no longer visible. Will it come back? What areas of the body are the hardest to recover post op? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Feedback on your procedure

Far more important than deciding if liposuction or a BBL is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Liposuction - where is my shape at two weeks?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • To me, a 5 L liposuction is the most that should be done at any one time - 
  • A larger liposuction, to me, is large volume.
  • But 5L is a lot - it is normal to still be sore and numb.
  • You swell a lot after liopsuction 
  • Your result vanishes becuase of swelling and will return as swelling subside.s
  • This takes weeks and weeks...six months to your final result.
  • For your best result, losing 10 pounds is the way to go - so fat does not re-appear in new areas.
  • Be sure to see your surgeon regularly - it is common to need advice and support during your healng.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

VASER Hi Definition / Liposuction Takes Time to See Results / Revision If Unhappy

Two weeks is very soon after your liposuction to see results unless you had a VASER HI DEF contouring procedure. You are still swollen. 5L is under what is considered hi volume in the US but is more than most doctors perform.  This is normal for my practice. It will take at least another month or two before you see more of your ultimate results. If you are concerned, please speak to the expert who performed your liposuction. Best, Dr. Emer

Swelling after liposuction

High-volume procedures are typically defined as over 6 L of aspirate removed. Whatyou were experiencing currently is entirely normal. Removal of a large amount fat causes swelling which then causes pain and numbness. As the swelling goes down your symptoms were will resolve and you will begin to see you're result. Your final result will not become evident until 6 to 12 months following your procedure. This timeline varies with the person their age and physical condition.
It is important to speak to your doctor as he can offer encouragement and reassurance.
Best regards, KC

Kirk A. Churukian, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Normal swelling after liposuction

What you describe sounds normal. I suggest you bring up your concerns during our next post op visit. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Post op swelling

Five liters removed from liposuction procedure is almost equivalent to removing 10 pounds of fat.  You need to take into consideration that there is also some fluid that is part of the 5 liters, but it should leave you with a very nice result.  Now with that being said, it also depends on where you started.  Some people that are smaller may see more of a change, for some patients that are larger , they will see a smaller change.  A larger liposuction, over five liters of removal is not as safe and really should be done in a hospital setting, or done in stages.  At this point you are two weeks out from your procedure, which can be the peak of the swelling period.  Hang in there!!  It will probably improve dramatically over the next 6 months.  Reevaluate  at that time.  Sometimes doing serial liposuction's can actually help reduce larger areas over time.
Good luck to you!!  Keep wearing your garment for the next 6 weeks

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon