If I go for another lift do I need to replace my implants? (Photos)

15 ago I opted for a donut lift with implant. The goal was not to make breasts larger just lift them w/o losing size. Due to extensive sagging Dr. Recommended implants & Lolipop lift. I chose lift & donut. Now my breast r sagging again. If I go in for a lolipop lift do I need to also get new implants? Is it less expensive to keep the implants I already have and just have the lift?

Breast Lift with Implant

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. It is totally possible to have a breast lift without replacing implants. However if your implants are 15 years old it is recommended to replace them at this time. Best of Luck- Dr Hardy...

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Replace implants with lift

Given that your implants are 15 years old, it would probably be a good idea to replace them at the time of your breast lift.  It may save you more in the long run and will give you a new and improved warranty.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Implant replacement?

Since the average duration of a silicone implant is 12-16 years, it would be wise to replace yours, which are 15 years old, at the time of your lift surgery.  Looking at your shape, you made need more skin tightening in the lower portion of the breast than can be achieved with the "donut" design. 

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

Its early to talk about results.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Replace Implants At Time of Second Breast Lift?

Less expensive now may mean more expensive later -  2 OR fees, 2 facility fees, etc. As your implants are 15 years old, it may be prudent to replace them at the same time as your lift. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

If I go for another lift do I need to replace my implants?

Since the implants are 15 years old, it would be best to change them at the time of your lift.   Although it will add a bit of cost to the surgery, you will have new implants with a new, improved warranty. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lift

Often with 15 year old implants, it might be wise to change them to newer ones. Commonly patients have capsules and other issues that need to be addressed.

When do I have to replace my breast implants?

Thanks for your question and the photos. I'm glad to hear that your implants are intact after 15 years. While there is no rule I would favor replacement . It is likely that a new pair of implants will last longer than what you have, and it is probably more cost effective to change them while you are already asleep than in say a year or two from now.

My general rule of thumb:

1) less than five years - no

2) 5- 10 years- maybe

3) over 10 years yes if the patient is having another surgery.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

New implants with secondary lift?

Given that your implants are 15 years old, I would strongly recommend replacing them at the same time that you have a secondary lift performed.  Although it will add a bit of cost to the surgery, you will have new implants with a new, improved warranty. You must weigh this up-front cost against the much greater cost of replacing the implants as a separate surgery at a later date when they fail.  

Thank you for the question and pictures. Although there are no "absolute rules" in this regard, I would suggest that you have new breast implants utilized, given that your existing breast implants are 15 years old.

Some general thoughts regarding breast implant selection during revisionary breast surgery may be helpful to you and other patients considering revisionary breast surgery. Whether or not to use  existing breast implants (even relatively recently placed breast implants) will be very simply determined; if they achieve your desired outcome in regards to breast size/shape, then more than likely you can utilize the same implants. If not, the use of the appropriate size/profile of breast implants will be necessary to achieve your desired outcome.  In my practice, this is best determined using intraoperative sizers DURING surgery after careful communication with the patient PRIOR to surgery.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.