Follow up to my previous question: Do I have an Infection? (photos)

I don't know what to think about my surgery because it doesn't get better plus I been seeing my doctor twice a week and he say its normal but I don't think it's normal cuz I been experiencing pain. my doctor doesn't want to give me any kind of medication and I'm concerned about it. Idon't know what to think. also I've been experiencing green discharge and bad odor. =(. I am afraid to end with bad scaring . What do you recommend me to do. Thanks by the way I think the incisions are hella big.

Do I have an infection.

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to provide advice without an in person assessment, although as it appears there should be some type of treatment to this area. 

Seek medical attention for wound care of some kind. 

Difficult would healing

Thank you for your question. There is no for sure answer to give without a physical evaluation. However, if there is and oozing and/or odor to the area that is sign of infection. From the picture, I'm concerned with the would healing. Follow up with your surgeon and follow is post care instruction. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 
Barrington
Oakbrook
Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Worried about healing complication

Thank you so much for your question about your breast lift wound.

If there is an odor, there is infection in the exposed tissues.
It will take time to heal but a common treatment for such infections is a few days of Dakin's solution dressings.
Another alternative is to be referred to a wound care clinic.

You will have a scar - but 6 months after it heals, you can have a scar revision to reduce its size.
I am so sorry you are going through this.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Open wounds at T-points of vertical incision after full breast lift with implants

lilly2014,

Wound separation at these locations after breast reduction, breast lift, or breast lift with implants is not rare, and some factors that may influence the occurrence include history of smoking, diabetes, tight closure, and large implants with full lift leading to tight closure. Suture reaction can also cause this in some patients. The areas that open in a situation like this tend to be the areas that are both farthest from the blood supply and are also under the greatest tension.  Further, the intersection points at the top and bottom of the vertical incisions also have the greatest number of sutures, further limiting blood supply, and creating foreign material that is in the wound if it separates.  The wounds you have look clean, though they are pretty scary for the patient, and the yellowish areas that you can see are areas of fibrin protein deposition, which would become a scab if allowed to dry.  Generally these wounds are treated with various regimens of dressing changes and cleansing (wound care) to remove debris including exposed sutures, during healing.  Any open wound will grow germs, but they are usually not invasive, and are merely germs that are colonizing the area secondarily, rather than causing the problem.  If your doctor suspects infection, a culture would be taken and antibiotics started, but they are rarely needed for this type of open wound, as cleansing the wound and changing dressings generally keep the bacteria in check.  Sometimes these areas may heal with thickened scar, but often the scarring ends up surprisingly good, as the open wounds will gradually contract to smaller size during healing, and new skin cells may emerge from the tissues directly deep to the wounds, if they are comprised of dermis, though that depends on the technique that was used. Scar revision is also an option, if it eventually proves necessary.   Do not give up hope, as this will generally turn out better than you expect, and keep up good communications with your surgeon.  I hope that this helps.    

Tom DeWire, MD, FACS    

Richmond, VA    

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Wound breakdown

I would not call this normal, but neither is it a rare occurrence. When these occur, it is usually at the "T" intersections, and that seems to be the case with you. 

Typically the treatment is local wound care, and regular follow up visits. Some surgeons would recommend antibiotics to selected patients, but I just can't tell from the provided info and patients. 

What will happen  with the scars is hard to predict. Some heal and can't tell a year later which side had the problem, others have wide scars that might benefit from a touchup. 

Without an in person visit, I would hesitate to make any specific suggestions, but if you are questioning your surgeon's treatment, a second opinion, in person, is advisable.