Has my implant ruptured? It has been about 10 months post op and I am very concerned with my right breast. (Photo)

At first I thought that they had 'dropped' and 'fluffed' but now when I touch it, I could definitely feel a layer of a material foreign to my body (the implant) and I could feel liquid almost swishing inside. It definitely looks different on the side view compared to my left breast. If it did rupture, what options do I have? I remember my doctor saying it won't harm my in any way, but cosmetically it looks terrible. Can I do a simple implant exchange?

Diagnosis of implant rupture

The level of suspicion for implant failure would depend on whether your implants are saline filled or silicone gel. The findings on rupture of saline implants are generally obvious as the saline is absorbed and the volume loss is dramatic. This does not appear to be the case based on your photos. A failure of silicone gel implants is generally more subtle and often requires radio-logic testing such as a MRI examination. The first step would be to followup with your plastic surgeon. He or she can often make the diagnosis based on your history and a physical examination. Meaningful decisions for further diagnostic testing could be made as well. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Implant rupture 10 months post-op

would be very unusual... and an exam can usually tell an experienced surgeon if the implant is ruptured or intact as it displaces the hand when pushed on one side.  Assuming your implant are fine, you do have some asymmetry that could benefit from a revision so let your surgeon know of your concerns and find out what options he/she has for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Asymmetry

You did not have an implant rupture. Your breasts appearance is more about the breast lift then the implant. Additionally, one implant is sitting lower on the chest wall. Have a discussion with your surgeon about your breasts appearance and hear what he has to say about revision.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Uneven

Just looking at your photos, you appear to have some loose tissue at the bottom of your breast, and one breast appears to be sitting lower than the other. An examination would be needed to determine exactly what is needed. It is very unlikely that your implant has broken. I would suggest going back to your surgeon and discussing all your concerns.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Has my implant ruptured? It has been about 10 months post op and I am very concerned with my right breast.

Impossible to tell if implant ruptured without an MRI exam. The shape could be caused by breast dropping off of implant-if that is the case a simple revision of lift would be possible. Discuss with your surgeon.

Is the implant broken?

From your photographs and history, it's difficult to tell just what's going on. I would recommend you go back to your operating surgeon for examination. A broken implant can easily be discerned by an office ultrasound. If it is broken, you would have to have it replaced. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

I recommend being seen in person by your chosen surgeon for an assessment to determine the next actions. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Return to your doctor!

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I suggest that you be examined by your plastic surgeon about the concerns you've shared with us. If there's a suspicion of ruptured breast implants then getting imaging of the breasts would be the next step before surgery. If the implant is ruptured it can be removed and a new one placed in the pocket. Rupture at 1 year is pretty rare, but not impossible so have your doctor check it out! Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD