I Want to Fix my Jaw Asymmetry As my Chin is Too Far to the Right? (photo)

My jaw juts to the right a bit too much. I wanted to move my chin a bit. What procedure is that? I saw genioplasty but it seems as though PS who offers that means a chin implant which I do not want as I like the slimness of my chin. However, one side of my face looks very different from the other in a 3/4th view because of the asymmetry. How much does it usually cost, too?

Doctor Answers 3

Chin Asymmetry Correction by Bony Reduction Genioplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Jaw asymmetry that is most pronounced at the chin can be corrected by either a custom asymmetrically designed chin implant or a bone reduction genioplasty procedure. Which approach is best would need to be based on the degree of chin asymmetry and what the shape of the jaw and the rest of the face looks like. Based on the one photo that you have shown, it may be that the boen on the right side of the chin needs to be reduced to match better to your left side.

Correction of Chin Asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks very much for the question and photos. A chin or mandibular implant could be customized in shape and position, to provide symmetry to your chin/jaw without significantly increasing your chin width/projection. This is a straightforward surgery which can be done under light sedation. Another option is to shave down your mandible (jawbone). A multitude of fillers can be used to reshape the chin/jaw as well. These include Juvederm Ultra Plus, Perlane, Radiesse, and Sculptra. I think the most important thing I would recommend would be to perform computer imaging during your consultation, so that you can best communicate with your surgeon what you are seeking aesthetically. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Options for Jaw Asymmety

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Iilysuim, there are several options to correct jaw asymmetry.  A surgical genioplasty can be performed, either with the placement of a chin implant, or by cutting and repositioning the lower part of the jaw bone.  Nonsurgical options are now also available, in which an injectable filler such as Juvederm, Radiesse, or Scuptra can be injected along the jaw line to help correct asymmetries.  Costs can vary depending on the type of procedure, however the injectable options are usually less expensive.  In my practice, most patients are trying the injectables first, before considering an implant.   Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 63 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.