How do I find a surgeon in my area who specializes in breast explantation?

I don't want to go to a doctor who does a huge variety of cosmetic surgery and offers explantation but perhaps does not have much experience in it.

Explanting Surgeon

Good afternoon!

My approach to this would be to perform a complete capsulectomy, to remove the capsule surrounding your implants, at the same time we remove your implants. I would then place a drain in each pocket for about five days to make sure no fluid accumulates, and then I would have you wear a nice tight compression bra 24/7 for 12 weeks.

The breast has an amazing ability to "shrink back down" but the keys are the removal of the capsules and the compression. I have removed implants that have been in for ten years or more with excellent results.

I have attached a link to my Breast Augmentation Revision Photo Gallery for your review- hope it helps!

Breast implant removal

Great question. You might start by going to abps.org and looking up plastic surgeons in your area. When you call you can ask the receptionist how many of implant removals the surgeon has performed. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

Most surgeons who put implants in also have a good amount of experience with implant revision and removal.  I would go on a few consults to get opinions on the best approach for you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

#Explant #BreatsImplantRemoval - surgeon who specializes in breast explantation?

In general, surgeons who do a lot of breast surgeries do a lot (relatively) of breast explantations (which is still not one of the more commonly performed procedures).  I'd advise that you start with referrals from any friends or doctors you can talk to and then use the ASPS Referral site to find board-certified plastic surgeons near you.  Then you should meet with them in person to get a sense of what they can offer you, read about them online, etc.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Finding the right surgeon

Thank you for asking about your breast implant explanation.

• To my knowledge, there are no plastic surgeons who specialize just in breast implant removal.
  • It is best to get several opinions from Board Certified Plastic Surgeons.
  • Surgeons who do a huge variety of cosmetic surgery usually do many explanations and have plenty of experience, especially in California!
  • To find surgeons to choose from, go to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons - entering your zip code will locate surgeons near you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Finding a Breast Implant Removal Surgeon

I truly believe in patients doing their research prior to any cosmetic procedure.  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons can be a great place to begin however finding a qualified surgeon may involve travel if you live in a small community.  The internet can be valuable if you research implant removal surgeons and look at photo galleries.  Talk to friends,salons in the area and neighbors as they may offer some resources for you.
Breast removal is a common procedure in my practice so it takes some time in the consult to determine what the reason is for the removal and why the patient is not seeking a breast implant exchange.  Make sure you have a good list of reasons for removal and paperwork for your last surgery. 

John Ward, MD (retired)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Finding a Surgeon

I would recommend locating a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your explantation through the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
  I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Revision expert

Consult with Breast revision specialist that has performed many explanations. For more info on your surgery check out IMPLANTREMOVAL.NET

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Breast explanation

I would suggest speaking with your local hospitals and BAAPS.
word of mouth from other patients is always the best

Nilesh Sojitra

Nilesh Sojitra, MSc, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon