Should I get a chin implant after traditional braces? (photos)

Ive had braces for 2.5 yrs now. I initially got braces because crowding in bottom teeth. Ended up getting braces top and bottom. I had 5 wisdom teeth, which only (3) were removed, the other two were growing out normally. After that the dentist said I needed more space, so I got (2) top and (2) bottom biscupids removed. Seven teeth total; my smile is looking nice; I have no over bite or any type of crossbite (N/A) problems. The problem is, im not happy AT ALL with my over all face profile. HELP

Chin implant after extensive braces and extractions?

Thank you for asking about your chin implant.
  • You can have a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty to bring the chin bone outward.
  • Your photo suggests that you need anterior (front) and vertical (up and down) lengthening.
  • In fact if you look at your profile, the slight fullness under your chin is from the jaw being set back.
  • Implants and sliding genioplasty are options -
  • A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Facial-plastic surgeon or Cranio-facial plastic surgeon will be able to help you.
  • A Board Certified Maxillo-facial surgeon who actually does major facial surgery (most only do dental extractions) is another choice.
  • For ease of recovery, implants are better.
  • If examination shows a complicated issue, a custom implant or a sliding genioplasty may be better.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

RHINOPLASTY AND CHIN AUGMENTATION CANDIDATE

Dear juliecs7, You would be an excellent candidate for chin augmentation to help provide a better balance to your profile. If you were consulting in my practice I would also discuss refining your nose with rhinoplasty surgery. These two procedures would help balance your overall facial aesthetics and provide a softer more feminine appearance. During consultation imaging can be used to show you how these proposed changes would look and then you can make an informed decision. An example of the imaging process can be seen in the video above and rhinoplasty chin augmentation combinations in the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Should I get a chin implant after traditional braces?

Dear Julie, from your photos, you may be a very good candidate for a chin implant or sliding genioplasty.  You may also want to consider a reduction type of rhinoplasty, which would also help balance your facial features.  In most cases, the two procedures could be perform at the same time.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

here Julie A Chin implants  is an excellent way to improve your profile and facial balance. Chin implants have their inherent risks and benefits but generally work well and safely. Look for an experienced and  well trained plastic surgeon who is certified by the American board of plastic surgery. See more than one consult and make a well informed decision. 

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

The photographs demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile for which a chin implant can improve. Chin implants are usually placed through a small submental incision to give the required amount of augmentation to balance out the facial profile, especially with respect to the overly projecting nose. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined time of the consultation and examination. Chin implants are also placed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure which which takes approximately  30 minutes. For more information, many examples and diagrams of the  implants, please see the link and the video below

Nose and chin correction

Base on your photos it seems that you will benefit from nose/chin surgery. Small chin, frequently seen in patient with occlusion problems should be augmented with implant or sliding genioplasty. Nose shaping surgery would help to bring balance in your face and, in particular, profile.
You should seek a consult with and experienced board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in rhinoplasty and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Small lower jaw

You appear to have an underdeveloped lower jaw. The fact that you have already had bicuspids removed complicates the choices you may have. A sliding genioplasty is  the most ideal at this point since it will extend the distance under the chin as well as provide a continuous look to the jawline. A Maxillofacial surgeon could provide assist

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Options to strengthen the chin

The position of the chin can greatly affect the overall balance and harmony of the face. The chin on a woman should project to align with the same plane as the lower lip. If the chin is weak, it can shorten the jawline, blunt angulation in the neck, and make the nose appear larger than it actually is.
There are multiple options to strengthen the chin. If your teeth and bite are in good alignment, then I believe you would be a good candidate for a chin implant procedure. Of all the procedures to augment the chin, a chin implant is the safest, quickest, and has a least downtime of all permanent chin augmentation procedures. I would recommend only using silicone for the implant material.In reviewing your pictures, I do think you would greatly benefit from a chin implant.
I hope this helps

Jaw

I think you should see a jaw surgeon as you lower jaw is too small, hence the previous crowding. You may not be please with just chin surgery 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon