Breathing and sleep problem after 2 years of Septoplasty surgery. (Photo)

I visited the doctor and he said that i have a elongated septum which is blocking my nasal path so i need to undergo nasal septoplasty. After 2 yrs of septoplasty, every night goes thinking about y did i do this? When i try to sleep flat on my back, i wake up several times as soon as i fall asleep because i feel like i am chocked. Also i still have deviated septum appearing from outside. My one nostril is always closed but when both are open, which happens rarely, it feels much better.

Functional nasal surgery

The photo of your nose is limited, but there are several components that may be contributing to your breathing problem.  The septum may still be crooked, your turbinates might be enlarged, and the nasal valve area may be collapsed.  You should get an evaluation with a facial plastic surgeon who specializes in functional nasal surgery.  Additional surgery might be an option to help you breathe better and straigthen your nose.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

rhinoplasty and septoplasty candidate

From the one limited photograph, it appears that the nose is significantly crooked which requires a rhinoplasty procedure to straighten it.  This involves osteotomies placed in the nasal bones and a cartilaginous spreader graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the mid-portion of the nose.  A thorough examination of the internal portion of the nose is required to determine what is causing the issues of nasal obstruction.  There are many different issues that can cause nasal obstruction, which can be treated both medically and surgically.  A septoplasty is performed for functional purposes,  once medical necessity has been documented at the time of the examination and consultation.  Both a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time, however patient's are expected to pay for the rhinoplasty component themselves, since this is cosmetic.  For more information about the differences between a septoplasty and rhinoplasty, and many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below