Am I a good candidate for CoolSculpting? If so, how many sessions would I need? (photo)

I have a thin frame, I weight 105lbs and 5’2 ½ but my tummy area is where my problem is. I do cardio 2-3 times a week and I eat a low carb diet. Once in a while I will eat a high carb meal as a special reward for my efforts. i was reading reviews for cool sculpting and many patients say they were in pain for 12 days after the procedure, any advice and tips on how to make it less painful?

Candidate for CoolSculpting of Abdomen? Number of cycles?

Thank you for sending in the photos.  It looks like you may be a good candidate for CoolSculpting.  How many cycles needs to be determined by exam and measurement.  CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool.  We have had good experience with the skin snapping back.  Each individual is different.  We usually see about a 25% reduction with CoolSculpting.  Liposuction gives more dramatic results, but is more invasive.  See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.  Moreover, would also consider seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, who can give advice on both CoolSculpting and Liposuction.

If you can pinch an inch....

If you can pinch an inch you are a candidate for CoolSculpting! 

Not all patients experience pain. The pain they are experiencing is called neuropathic pain. Nerve fibers may be temporarily stimulated by the extreme cold. You should be given a prescription for a pain medication specifically for neuropathic  pain. Patients typically have pain 3-7 days after treatment and it resolves in a few days. 

Wayne Foster, MD, FACS
Toms River Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for CoolSculpting

Based on the photos you appear to be a great candidate for coolsculpting. Physical examination and consultation in order to understand your goals and objective will be able to better understand how many treatments to recommend. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting

Based on your photos, you could be a great candidate for Coolsculpting - an effective FDA non invasive treatment for excess fat. I have seen some impressive results with a series of 2-3  treatments. However, the results do vary from patient to patient. Remember, cool sculpting requires no surgery and it will generally yield at least 10-20% improvement each treatment  It will take up to 3 month to appreciate your final results after each treatment. However, you must understand that cool sculpting is NOT liposuction. Liposuction is a surgical procedure and will yield more definitive results. Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

You appear to be a great candidate for CoolSculpting

By looking at your photos you appear to be a great candidate for CoolSculpting but I would certainly recommend that you seek out a local facility that is owned and operated by a board certified plastic surgeon to have a consultation. When applying the applicators to the locations to be treated vacuum is used and can be a bit uncomfortable for the first few minutes. Generally with one treatment you will see a 20% reduction in the fat layer on the tissue that is sucked into the applicator. With a second treatment at 30 days you can increase this reduction in the fat layer up to 40-50%. I would not think that you would need more than two treatments by looking at your photos.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

CoolSculpting Candidate

Hello Amy-
Thank you for your question! It appears by your photos that you would be an excellent candidate for the CoolSculpting treatment. The best way to determine your treatment plan would be to visit a Certified CoolSculpting provider and have them do a full Treatment-to-Transformation assessment on you. This is the time to ask questions, familiarize yourself with the pre and post treatment care for CoolSculpting, and to determine the best treatment plan for your body. You may only need one treatment, but we have seen that the best results are seen after two treatments per area. Wishing you all the best!  "Dr. Joe"

Good candidate for CoolSculpting

Hi! You appear to be an excellent candidate for CoolSculpting. You may notice improvement with just one treatment, but you might need 2-3 to achieve your desired outcome. While significant lasting pain is not common, the discomfort can be lessened with Tylenol or Advil.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Candidacy for Coolsculpting

Hi there-

You appear to be an excellent candidate for Coolsculpting!

Bear in mind, however, that the determination of your candidacy can only responsibly be decided by a Certified Coolsculpting provider after a careful physical examination in person. Also keep in mind that your happiness with your outcome will depend greatly on who does the procedure, and on your commitment to completing your series of treatments ("Treat to Transformation").

Am I a candidate for coolsculpting

Amy, I think that you would be an excellent candidate. I would recommend that you take Advil or Alleve before your procedure. You may have some mild discomfort. I would discuss this with your surgeon.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Good CoolSculpting candidate

Thank you for your question and for the photos.  You do appear to be a good candidate for CoolSculpting!  You have localized fat pockets on your small frame.  You should expect good results from the treatment.  Pain can occur after the treatment, but severe pain is quite unusual.  Motrin is usually all it requires, and massage can help as well.  

Carmen Kavali, MD