120 pounds, 5'1 hight is moderate profile 550-600cc with a wide implants - too much? (photos)

I am almost 3 months post op with a 350cc I Also have a huge middle gap just like my pre op went to a different surgeon for a second opinion he suggested a wider implant due to naturally having a big gap. Is his suggestion too much?

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

I'm sorry for your disappointment

as issues such as your wide space should have been addressed by your surgeon... but there are some surgeons out there that refuse to exceed your natural dimensions pushed by some academicians.  In my experience, you must exceed the natural base of the breast if you want to improve the cleavage but you just have to be careful as to not create symmastia.  Double bubbles can happen but it just is part of the package when you go with larger implants.  If you can use an unlined bra with a cup of rice in a nylon stocking with the memory taken out and you like the look, you will be fine with the 600 cc implant.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Replacement with larger implants?

You appear to have some ptosis (sagging) and I would consider asking your plastic surgeon if a lift may be required.  Larger implants will definitely give you more fill, but 500cc plus implants are rather large.  Perhaps an alternative would be to use a lower profile implant to give a wider look and more cleavage.  See what your plastic surgeon suggests.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Gap

Thank you for your question regarding the distance between before and after her breast augmentation.  I have this discussion with each and every of my breast augmentation patient's because it is so important to set appropriate expectations.  The distance between your breasts is set based on your anatomy and very difficult, if not impossible, to correct to any significant degree.  A larger, wider breast implant will definitely be larger on your chest and the area of the implants closer together, but in a short amount of time your breasts will likely have a rocks in a sock appearance with the base of the breasts still being as far apart as they are now because that is your anatomy.  I believe your initial surgeon did a very nice job and measured the width of the base of your breasts appropriately and chose an implant based on that width without going to large.  I believe that you would not be happy increasing the size of your implants unless you want a look as I described above.  In addition, given how much your implants seemed to have already settled, if you are still going to move forward with changing your implants I would suggest changing to the teardrop, anatomically-shaped implants which might be able to provide a wider and more stable appearance and result.

120 pounds, 5'1 height is moderate profile 550-600cc with a wide implants - too much?

A 550-600cc is very large  implant for your body. I would not recommend an implant that large. I would revisit with your original plastic surgeon who helped choose a very good size for your body.

Wide gap and exchnage

Thanks for your question. To close the gap please consider a wider breast implant that you currently have like a Moderate plus. You will have to talk to your plastic surgeon about what your measurements were before the initial operation. Be careful going too big because these can stretch you out too much!

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question and photos. As you noted, you're breast are naturally spaced further apart. A larger/wider implant will help to correct this some, but will not completely change the shape and position of your breasts. It is very important to find a range of implant sizes that would be appropriate for your frame. Be sure to discuss all these options and anticipated outcomes with your PS. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

120 pounds, 5'1 hight is moderate profile 550-600cc with a wide implants - too much?

Thank you for the question and pictures. You will find that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice in regards to selection of specific breast implant size/profile. Sometimes, depending on the patient's situation, adjustment of the breast implant capsules (capsulorraphy) and/or breast lifting may also be necessary.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D or DDcup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation - how big is too big?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation -
  • A lot depends on the look you want -
  • You have a very nice result from your augmentation.
  • A wider implant - which will be a bit larger - can to some extent reduce the width between the breasts
  • That said, for your height and weight, a 550-600 cc implant is too big for you.
  • I suggest you return to your first surgeon who put in nicely proportioned implants for you and discuss what size implant makes sense for you to reduce the width between the breasts.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS