Surgery and smoking. What am I looking at for TT and buttocks augmentation?

I'm 35, a smoker trying to quit. Have gotten help from my Dr. with no luck so I'm doing this on my own. My motivation is a new body. Question: for breast implants I believe I can't smoke a few days before and after, What am I looking at for TT and Buttocks augmentation? Certainly I am conceived I must stop smoking for good, but still curious. Thank you!

Smoking before tummy tuck and buttocks augmentation

Smoking brings a significant risk of cancer, stroke, heat attack, etc. From a Plastic Surgery standpoint it is a vasoconstrictor. Wound healing is all about getting oxygen and needed entities to the wound. It is well known that patient who smoke have a tremendous increase in their rate of serious complications, (infections, wounds falling apart, etc.). Nicotine is the main vasoconstrictor, so getting a patch or lozenge of nicotine won't help the vasoconstriction. Best to be off the tobacco/nicotine entirely before surgery. Please be honest with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Together you can make a plan to quit and proceed with surgery. The amount of time between quitting and surgery will depend on the Plastic Surgeon and the procedure.

Smoking and surgery

I tell my patients to stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before their surgery but at least a month for a butt augmentation. 

Smoking and Surgery

I applaud you for your efforts to quit smoking. It is very addictive and a hard habit to quit. In my practice I will not meet with someone in consultation unless they have been smoke free for three months. Because smoking is addictive and often stress can be a trigger for smoking, I want to be certain my patients are as safe as possible before surgery.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and Smoking?

For a smaller procedure such as a breast augmentation you can use two weeks off the cigarettes before surgery and after surgery. But for a bigger procedure such as the tummy tuck and a buttock augmentation I ask my patients for 4 weeks off prior to surgery and 4 weeks off after surgery. If you want the best outcome of your surgery and for your incisions to heal properly its best to give your self the proper time. I can understand its a hard process to quit, but just think of the great results you are going to have in the end. Best of luck.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Smoking and surgery

Thank you for your question.  To live a healthy lifestyle, you should refrain from smoking at all, which you seem to have realized.  For my patients, I tell them not to smoke for two weeks before surgery and for six weeks after.  We have a strict "no nicotine" policy due to the complications that can occur.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Nicotine has a inmmediate  effect   on  blood vessels constriction diminishing the amount of blood supply to needed by the tissues manipulated in the surgery.  So many complications may occur due to it from death of the "flat" (necrosis) to blood cloth, and many more.

Stop smoking at least 1 month before the surgery.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Surgery and smoking.

You should stop smoking 4 weeks prior to surgery and 4 weeks after surgery. This also means you cannot use any nicotine containing produces like patches or gum. Best wishes. Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Smoking

Smoking increases the risks or poor healing, infection, and complications. I recommend stopping at least 2 weeks prior and continue to not smoke for at least 2 weeks afterwards.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Smoking cessation

Thank you for your question.Typically we ask our patients to cease smoking as soon as possible, as smoking increases all the complications associated with surgery such as bleeding, infection risk, bruising, delayed wound healing and scaring. That being said, we would like you to quit smoking at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and not to start smoking again, or being exposed to second hand smoke for a minimum of 3-4 weeks post operatively.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Smoking and Mommy Makeover Dangers

Smoking has up to a thirty times the risk of complications like breast hardening (capsular contracture). I strongly advise stopping several weeks before permanently. Seek help if needed. A good plastic surgery result relies on good blood flow. The nicotine, carbon monoxide, and hydrogen cyanide in the blood of smokers inhibits their blood’s ability to deliver sufficient oxygen to their healing tissues. Thus, patients who smoke are at greater risk of complications and poor wound healing.
A long history of medical studies have shown revealed the risks patients take when they smoke. A 1984 study, which followed 1,100 face lift patients, “found that a smoker was 12.46 times more likely to suffer skin loss than a patient who did not smoke.”
A more recent study in 2003 reviewed 132 abdominoplasty patients. The study “showed wound healing problems in 47.9% of smokers versus 14.8% of non-smokers.”
Whether a plastic surgery candidate smokes or not is a big factor in whether a surgeon will perform surgery on that person or not. At the Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery, patients will be asked about their smoking habits, if any, which will be factored into the doctor’s decisions in her/his case.