Should I see bags gradually disappearing by now after lower bleph? (Photo)

A little follow-up to my first post. I understand that results aren't usually seen until 3 months. However, unless I'm misunderstanding, I'm under the impression that after surgery the lower lid swelling/bags should gradually lessen. I'm almost at the 4 week/1 month mark, and my under eye bags have pretty much stayed the same. Each day I'm hoping to see a slight improvement, but I don't see much if any change! No doubt that my under eyelids look better but the bags are still there.

Lower lid bags

should be obviously better than what you started with.  Now its just time and healing to see if you will achieve a flat lower lid or still have some residual bulge.  If its isn't what you anticipated or discussed, you should let your surgeon know of your concerns so proper planning can be done if needed.

Should I see bags gradually disappearing by now after lower bleph?

There does appear to be fat pads remaining but best to wait 3 months after surgery and then re-evaluate.  See link below.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid eye "bags"

Hello, it may be worth having you see a second opinion with an oculoplastic surgeon or further evaluation. You're still early from your surgery, but there may be some findings that can help determine whether you still have residual fat pockets versus swelling. Good luck, 

Lower eyelid bags 4 weeks after surgery

Almost a month after surgery, most people are seeing their results, although not the final result, but certainly a difference. I would compare yourself to you pre op photos and see if you can see a difference. Then certainly speak to your surgeon, as online photos make it difficult to make judgements since we do not know the details of what has happened. 
It may not be too late to start using Arnica Montana topical therapy to help if it is indeed swelling. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Please put your finger on top of your "bag".

Press this area.  If it is hard, it may be that you are seeing the contour of the orbital rim underneath the skin.  Unfortunately some surgeons do not recognize when a bag is from herniated fat, which benefits from surgery and the orbital rim, which does not benefit from eyelid surgery.  If this is your orbital rim, it is not going away no matter how long you wait. (I see this issue way too often in consultation).  Consider getting a second opinion because your surgeon may not want to admit that the surgery did absolutely nothing.

Slow progress after lower lid blepharoplasty

It's good to hear that there is some improvement after surgery even if it is small. Several factors may prolong the swelling  - it is so important to stay in touch with your surgeon who knows your medical history and is able to examine you in person. Observation of the upper eyelid movement would provide valuable information and help to determine if thyroid issues might be a concern.There are some medications and general health issues that may delay the resolution of edema/swelling - particularly thyroid issues, and some blood pressure medications. When you see your surgeon, be sure to tell him/her about your concerns. Best wishes on your recovery.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery - Lower Lid Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question about recovery from eyelid surgery.

Yes, at one month you should start to see some results....but, some individuals stay swollen for a long time and it takes longer.  One can only speculate in your specific situation.

For specific questions like this and about your recovery in general, it is best to speak directly with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the current circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second opinion and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation for evaluation and examination.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Should the bags still be present 4 weeks after lower blepharoplasty?

Thank you for sharing your photos and question. It is still not possible to determine how much of the puffiness is swelling and how much is residual fat. You should try not to focus too much in the eyelids at this time, because revision surgery cannot be performed until after 6 months have passed. 
Good luck,

Residual prominence following lower blepharoplasty

Seems like you have residual fat pad versus swelling following lower blepharoplasty; the first  will require reoperation whereas the second should resolve completely;

Arian Mowlavi, MD