Can I get a mammogram with breast implants?

Hi, I'm a 29 year old Asian/white female. I do not know my family history since I was orphaned very young and I don't know members of my family on either side. I have breast implants but I want to get a mamogram. I know so many women I grew up with who are in late stages of cancer (breast) at 27-29. I have two kids and I'm scared to get sick and leave them. I check for lumps often but I already gave cystic breast since I was a kid. If I can't do a mamogram how else can i check?

Can you get a mammogram with breast implants?

You can absolutely get a mammogram with breast implants.  They will do a slightly different technique, but aside from that, mammography won't change much with or without breast implants.  Best of luck!

Yes you certainly can have mammograms even if you have breast implants.  It is important to have your mammograms done at a hospital or screening center that is familiar with patients who have breast implants.   It is also important to see your primary care physician for a breast examination.

Hello and thanks for your question. Having breast implants does not preclude you from getting a mammogram. There is a small amount of deeper tissue that may not be totally visualized, but extra views at the time of the study can maximize the visibility. Best wishes.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon