Sagging double chin/turkey neck. Any suggestions? (photos)

I have a hereditary turkey neck. My grandfather and mother have this. It is very aging. I am wondering how serious if a surgery a neck lift is. I have three kids so worry about risky surgery but also think laser treatments won't work on me. I would like to know the risks of a neck lift in terms of safety and where this surgery falls in the grand scheme of surgery riskiness. I am a healthy 45 year old 138pounds 5'6".

Neck Lift Is Minimally Invasive and Long Lasting

All surgery has risks, but a neck lift is a relatively quick and minimally invasive procedure that uses very small incisions. You even have the option of remaining awake during the surgery, which cuts down on your recovery time. You will have some downtime, but only directly after the surgery and it shouldn't last more than a week or two. The necklift itself will last about 10 years. I hope this helps.

Double chin treatment

Double chin treatment is best addressed with a deep plane facelift or neck lift to best improve the jawline. Kybella may also help.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift To Eliminate A Turkey Neck

Neck laxity and jowl formation are often the first signs of the normal, aging face. When left untreated, it can make you look much older than your stated age. Precision cosmetic surgery can remove unwanted fat and snug up skin laxity, returning your jawline to the appearance you had in your youth. Assuming you are in good health and get medical clearance, surgery in this area involves only the skin, subcutaneous tissue, the supporting layer (SMAS) and is extremely safe since no deep body cavities (such as the brain, chest, or abdomen) are being entered. In a matter of 1-2 hours, this surgery can be complete with a hidden, thin suture line behind your ears where it can't be easily seen. It is my professional opinion that in your case, lasers would not be appropriate because you have too much skin laxity. Although there are many lasers on the market, if the settings are too deep, the result can be fraught with problems, particularly in the neck. The surgical removal of unwanted skin and fat should do the trick.

Face and neck lift

Thanks for sharing.  From what I can see you are a nice candidate for surgical neck lifting with or with out a lower facelift.  I do believe anything less will not get you the results you really want.  I perform these procedures every day under local anesthesia and minimal oral sedation.  In experienced hands you should have minimal risk and high patient satisfaction. In realself it has a 95% satisfaction rate.  This should help reassure you that it is very well received procedure.  Consult with an experienced facial plastic / plastic surgeon to discuss your candidacy and specific concerns. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Neck lift can be done safely

Hi awk.  You appear to be a good candidate for an upper neck lift with a minifacelift (to avoid making your jowls more prominent).  This can be done under general anesthesia and twilight anesthesia, depending upon your medical history and your surgeon.  The surgery involves the skin, fat, fascia above the platysma muscle-not inside the deeper compartments of your neck-as such it is less risky.  However, all surgeries carry the potential for risks in the hands of the best surgeons and anesthesiologists.  Your surgeon will take a detailed medical history and examine you, and then make recommendations accordingly.  Best wishes,

Hereditary turkey neck

You appear to be an excellent candidate for a lower face and neck lift to remove fat under your chin and tighten your neck and jawline. In healthy patients this is a very safe surgery. With meticulous technique, the healing process is quite fast. 

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sagging double chin/turkey neck. Any suggestions?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat around the cheeks (in front and below), jowls are present, the chin is weak and there is excess skin below the chin.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Face/ neck lift versus neck liftft alone

The photographs demonstrate fatty deposits in the neck in addition to loose and inelastic skin. When loose and inelastic skin is present in the neck, a lower face and neck lift is required. In our practice a neck lift only involves fatty removal in the neck along with the platysma plasty. No skin removal is needed with a neck lift.  Both procedures are very safe when performed by a very experienced surgeon in a licensed and certified outpatient surgery center. In addition, make sure the anesthesiologist is board-certified For patient safety and comfort.For more information  and many examples of both procedures, please see the video and the link below

Kybella

Thank you for your question. Kybella is a phenomenal procedure to remove turkey neck, double chin or submental fullness due to submental fat. The only FDA-approved injectable drug can contour the jaw and neckline by eliminating the submental fullness due to submental fat. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to do with a Turkey Neck

Thanks for your great question.  This is a very common problem and can be addressed by having a necklift or a face/neck lift.  Every surgeon has their own idea for rectifying this problem, so find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who has experience with this procedure.  Best of luck in your search.