Do I need a lift with a breast augmentation? (Photos)

I'm 22 and I lost 60 pounds 2 years ago and ever since my breast have been deflated and shrunk. As of now I believe I am a 34A-34B depending on the brand. Before the weight loss my breast were fuller but not completely round (I was a comfortable 34C, tho not a full cup, but had much more tissue on the top). I'm worried that my breast have shrunk and that the skin won't be tight enough to hold the implants I want 475cc-500cc silicone. I'm worried about future rippling and double bubble.

Breast augmentation

From these photos, you should get a result you are very happy with by having a straight forward breast augmentation since your nipples are above the level of your fold and you have no breast tissue below your fold. Please seek an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Be sure to express your goals and expectations to your chosen surgeon. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery 

San Francisco Bay Area 

#realself  #drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Do you need a lift.

We are missing information that would make the decision of whether you need a lift.

What is the distance from sternal to nipple, if less than 24, it is less likely.

On your side view the nipple is at the fold of the breast making a lift less likely.

You do have some pseudo ptosis. 

I would recommend a shaped cohesive gel implant. Larger implants will correct better. Subfascial placement above the muscle with cohesive gel implants will also correct the droop better.

Lastly examination in person does help determine.

Hope this helps.

Breast lift with augmentation

Thank you for your question. From your photos, information and desired results, it looks like you would be best served with a combination of breast lift with augmentation.  The parameters of both the breast lift and the position of the breast implants should be designed to keep the implants relatively low while lifting the breast tissue and nipple to sit directly over the implants.  Many techniques exist in breast surgery, and combined lifting with augmentation is especially tricky.  The key is working with an expert, board certified plastic surgeon to get the best plan for the individual.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Based on your submitted photos you appear to be an excellent candidate for a breast lift with implants to produce beautiful overall results.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be further evaluated, discuss your surgical options, address your goals and work together to create the surgical plan that will best help you achieve the overall look you desire.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Breast Augmentation - Need a lift?

Thank you for your question and photos. It looks like a lift will be required in addition to placement of breast implants. I do not think you will achieve a satisfactory result with either augmentation or a lift alone. It is best to have an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic breast surgery. Ask to see a lot of before and after photos of their work. Hope this helps and good luck!

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Although you would probably do well with an implant alone, an implant, particularly of the size that you want, will significantly stretch out your already compromised skin. As the skin is stretched, like a Chinese finger trap, it will also thin leading to likely visible and palpable irregularity such as rippling. As this continues over time, you will likely end up with a result that is still droopy albeit larger. The impulse is to take a larger implant to try to compensate for the extra drooping that has resulted from the expanded skin but this can continue to compromise the breast envelope leading to what is referred to as soft tissue failure. Although you may not desire a smaller implant, this may help to achieve better stability long-term. I doubt that a double bubble deformity would occur but I do  think that it is possible  that your implant could bottom out .

You may want to consider a breast lift which would help to not only restore the implant to a more youthful position but improve the asymmetry as well. I would certainly discuss all these issues with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Lift? Implants?

Dear gigiC22, In my opinion, implants alone will probably give enough volume to fill out the loose skin. The size and projection of the implants would need to be evaluated in person in order to minimize the possibility of the "double bubble". Be sure to consult with an experienced board BC PS. Good luck. Dr. Gervais.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Questions

It does not appear you need a lift, however if you fear rippling and double bubble, the you shouldn't be picking what size implant you think you want. The rippling and double bubble, like implant malposition and symmastia, are complications associated with implants that are too large for your soft tissue envelope. Let a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that values tissue based implant selection to choose what's right for you. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Do I need a lift with a breast augmentation

Your breast are lying lower on your rib cage due to the weight loss. I think an implant alone will not lift you but it will fill in the skin. If you want the new breast mound higher on your rib cage, then a breast lift will need to be added to the mix

Julio Garcia, MD

Lift or Augment

Thank you for your question and photos. Your deflation could probably be improved with implants alone. You may achieve better results with a full projection implant. The specific sizes/volumes appropriate for you will depend on your specific breast measurements and this is highly individualised. You need to meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person. My patients find it helpful to try on the implants with a form-fitting T-shirt in the office in order to get an idea of how they will look.

All the best