Which is the better of all the vaginal rejuvenation treatments/procedures?

Of all the vaginal rejuvenation treatment which is the safest and most effective? I'm in search for tightning as well as moisture support. I'm in the SF Bay Area and so ready to set up an app with a knowledgable Dr who is experienced and comfortable in this field.. Someone please help.
Click here for a list of doctors in your area. 

Mona Lisa Touch and Femi Lift by Alma are both fractional CO2 laser devices. They are equally effective and produce excellent results. We have Femi Lift in our practice. Fractional laser devices, such as Femi Lift by Alma lasers, actually have been shown through rigorous scientific study, to promote Neocollagenesis by heating the vaginal lining tissues to 60-70 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, Femi Lift also causes fractional ablation of the vaginal lining, resulting in regrowth of a thicker and more youthful vaginal lining. In my practice we have treated dozens of patients with Femi Lift and I have not seen a single treatment failure. Furthermore, most, if not all of my stress urinary incontinence patients (mild to moderate severity) have completely resolved their SUI. Lastly many have posted that ThermiVa is a "newer" technology. That is just patently untrue. Fractional CO2 laser technology was first used clinically in the early 2000's. ThermiVA is a radio frequency based device that works through direct bulk heating. ThermiVa has been supported by claims that it increases lubrication and improves vaginal function. In that ThermiVa is not FDA approved for intra-vaginal use, and that these claims are not supported by any valid, peer reviewed studies that I can find, it is unlikely that ThermiVa will help with any vaginal issues in a lasting way.. This technology is not able to raise tissue temperatures sufficiently to promote new collagen growth (Neocollagenesis), which is necessary for any lasting results. It has been shown that Neocollagenesis occurs ONLY when the tissues are heated to 60-70C. ThermiVa absolutely does not heat tissues to 60-70C, but only achieves perhaps 45-55 degrees Celsius. By heating the vaginal lining tissues, ThermiVa causes swelling, or edema. There is no scientific basis that supports the notion of ThermiVa producing long lasting results. Furthermore, as we all learned in 2nd year medical school pathology class, chronic inflammation and edema leads to FIBROSIS (a pathologic process). Fibrosis is a disorderly process of SCAR FORMATION, as opposed to the functionally regenerative process of Neocollagenesis. Think about nasty ugly scars on the skin that occur due to injury. That is the process of scar formation.  Radio frequency has been in use since the 1980's and the external application (like ThermiVa) was how RF was first used. People, do your homework and do not trust those who are untruthful! As a key opinion leader in the field of feminine rejuvenation, I have formed the opinion, based upon extensive research and experience, that ThermiVa is a useless device and a huge scam, not to mention a waste of money. FemiLift is the premier device available today.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Best treatment for vaginal rejuvenation

Best treatment for vaginal rejuvenation
I perform a variety of treatments and surgeries in Newport Beach , Orange County to enhance , restore and rejuvenate the female genital region. This includes procedures to improve moisture, and sensitivity and tighten the vaginal canal; enhance orgasm and restore or improve the appearance of the vulva including the labia minora, labia majora, the clitoral region and the vestibule of the vagina. The mons pubis can also be improved with techniques noted below. There are many names for these procedures which include: Designer Vagina, Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation, LVR, Monsplasty, Labiaplasty, Labia Rejuvenation, Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery, Aesthetic Vaginal Sugery, Perineoplasty, and Hymenoplasty. Vaginal Enhancement Surgery is basically cosmetic surgery of a woman’s “Private Parts” or genital region.

Thermiva and other co2 laser treatments can improve moisture ,  sensitivity,  tightness ..  you need to have a consult and exam

Best non-invasive vaginal rejuvenation

usually lies in what technology your surgeon has in his/her office.  But you have all these laser companies falling over each other to sell their product and then you have ThermiVA which is radiofrequency.  ThermiVA makes much more sense than lasers but you should ask your surgeon about it when you have your consultation.  It will take more than one session to achieve your results and you can always check out the satisfaction rates on realself comparing Mona Lisa (as it represents all of the lasers) versus ThermiVA.

Curtis Wong, MD

Which Vaginal Rejuvenation procedure(s) are safest & most effective: "Invasive" vs. "non-invasive."

Hello Ehya,

The only person to answer this question honestly for you is an experienced cosmetic gynecologist who SPECIALIZES in cosmetic gynecology, "vaginal rejuvenation," and BOTH "non-invasive" and surgical repairs. Since you indicate a moisture problem, it would be nice if this person is also savvy in Sexual Medicine and, if applicable, works with women who suffer from menopausal moisture difficulties (if you are menopausal) You deserve an individualized evaluation by a specialist who can pick the best procedures for you specifically. Don't be afraid to travel! Remember, your first procedure(s) is the best chance you have to get it right. As a RealSelf consumer, some docs will give you a discount-- be sure to ask! You may access the weblink below & peruse the site, especially the blogs, for lots of useful information.

Michael P Goodman MD

Vaginal tightening

Thank you for your question. The best treatment option for you should be determined by a thorough history including your goals and a physical exam. Vaginal rejuvenation alone will acheive vaginal tightening. If prolapse (a bulge into the vagina) is also present, you would likely need a prolapse repair in conjunction with the rejuvenation procedure. You can read more about vaginal rejuvenation at the link below. 

The Best Vaginal Rejuvenation Procedures

The best procedures for your goals are completely subjective and dependent upon your goals and your budget. What might be ideal for one woman might be perceived as a bad option for another. You need to sit down with an expert in consultation and have a thorough exam to see where you stand in relation to your goals. Safety and efficacy between different vaginal rejuvenation procedures have not been compared head-to-head. Nonetheless, for vaginal tightening of the introitus and the canal, surgery gives the tightest and longest lasting results. Nonsurgical options can improve the skin of this area with a mild tightening effect, but a more robust improvement in lubrication if there is dryness related to menopause. Cosmetic vaginal surgery is very safe in general when conducted by skilled and experienced surgeons. Nonsurgical options might work well in conjunction with surgery or alone, but are always prone to the occasional non-response outcome. Beyond procedures, there are a variety of medications that can improve sexual function for specific problems.

Vaginal rejuvenation

Dear Ehye

The safest rejuvenation procedure is not necessarily the most effective.  The most effective is procedure is undoubtedly going to be surgery but the actual procedure needs depend upon how much prolapse (relaxation) you have.  There are other non invasive treatments including : Kegel exercises, biofeedback therapy, electrical stimulation, carbon dioxide laser (Mona Lisa) , radio frequency ( ThermiVa).  I have seen each and every one of these modalities fail. They have never been compared to one another to know which has the highest cure rate and none can make claims over another.

The most invasive procedure i.e. surgery tend to be the most promising results but its all the most risky.  You will need to do your homework the results of surgery are most promising in the  hands of a surgeon who has had great success in the past.  Its a tough question overall. Best of luck in your quest.

John R Miklos MD
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Best vaginal rejuvenation treatment

In my practice I only perform surgical vaginal rejuvenation procedures. I believe surgical treatment provides the best and longest lasting results. I would need to examine you in person to determine which surgical technique would be best to help you achieve your desired results. Best of luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Best Vaginal Rejuvenation Laser

Currently there are two major systems that are used for laser vaginal rejuvenation, Lumenis FemTouch and Mona Lisa Touch. They both work in a similar way delivering fractional CO2 laser to the vaginal wall to regenerate the vaginal tissue, activate new collagen production, and promote new vascularity. These changes result in tightening, increased lubrication, increased sexual pleasure and improvement with symptoms of stress urinary incontinence.

Mona Lisa Touch claims that their patented stacking of beams allows for more tissue penetration and better effect where as Lumenis FemTouch claims similar results with a single pulse causing less thermal damage to the surrounding tissue.

They both can treat and improve vaginal atrophy or dryness common in peri and post menopausal women that may cause itching or pain especially during intercourse. They can also be used to treat mild stress urinary incontinence for women as young as 20 to 45 years old. Also, women who may notice vaginal laxity after childbirth can benefit from this treatment.

I have had patients that have used both systems and report great satisfaction and results. Another benefit is that your GYN doctor can also use the Lumenis FemTouch or Mona Lisa Touch to improve the texture and elasticity of the vulva aesthetically.

The key is to choose a gynecologist you feel comfortable with.

Tightening and dry

You did not give your age, so I would assume this is pre-menopausal .  This is regular Gynecology and your OBGYN should be the first one you discuss this with. Support issues are day-in day-out discussions in this type of practice. TBS, if you have not had a pregnancy/vaginal delivery then dryness is a functional issue that requires more thought with one able to discuss sexual issues, and tightness also a discussion of goals. Start with your OBGYN.