Is my vagina normal? (Photo)

Im 21, I've never had a child but I have had an abortion, and ever since then, I haven't felt right down there. Sex doesn't feel the same, it actually is kind of painful. I get normal periods, they come on the same day each month and lasts around 5-7 days. I just feel like there's always something down there, like there's something in my vagina. Please let me know if it appears to look normal!

Do I look normal down there after an abortion?

The quick answer is your photo shows a normal appearing vaginal opening.  But a physical exam in required.  If you had an abortion its possible you suffered from an infection or injury.  That is not common but an exam is required.  Also you mention that you have cycles 5-7 days.  Birth control pills will not only prevent undesired pregnancy but also will decrease pelvic pain and cycle length.  Use condoms to prevent infections and as a back up in case you forget to take the pills.  You want to limit unplanned pregnancies as much as possible as abortion can be physically and emotionally difficult.  If you are experiencing doubt or guilt about the abortion this can result in painful intercourse as well so don't hesitate to look for post abortion counseling in your area.

Candidate for Vaginal Surgery

Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor. Considering any of the various factors that could be affecting your vaginal health, there is always the ability to have a consultation with a local board certified plastic surgeon to determine the best procedure or treatment to enhance your vaginal structure.

Your external genitalia

is completely normal... you photo suggests you may have a tag of mucosa in the canal and this can only be verified with an exam.  You can ask your GYN or primary care doctor about it next time you're in for a visit.  Its likely to be some variant of normal and if you really want it removed, then you can search for surgeons in your area.  I would think costs for that would be under $1000 if done under local in the office... but you have to endure the discomfort of the shot.

Curtis Wong, MD

Is my vagina normal?

Thank you for your question and photographs. There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal.  For your other symptoms I would recommend having an open discussion with your ob/gyn to see if there is an anatomic reason. Hope this helps. 

Something just doesn't FEEL right "...down there..." How do I tell??

Hello CA girl!

You 100% look normal :)! I don't deny that you may feel like something's not right "...down there..." but your photo shows a healthy, attractive, and entirely normal APPEARING vulva and vaginal opening. However, if you feel somethings "not right..." make an appointment with a Gyn. you can trust and have a personal evaluation.

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

If you have had an abortion by a good OBGYN then we should assume the anatomy is basically normal (no congenital anomaly etc.). A picture is normally worth "a thousand words," but your picture is unhelpful in this regard. You need an OBGYN exam and need to express your concerns re: appearance and function. He/she will also discuss the pain and birth control, cycle control etc. There IS "something" in your vagina: cervix attached to uterus and connected to front wall (bladder) and back wall (rectum). These can have extra tissue or lower position--GET AN EXAM please.

Your vagina is normal

Your vaginal looks normal. Your issues require a visit to your gynecologist. A photo doesn't give enough info to address any of your concerns.