What is a usual course of laser treatments for hypertrophic facial scarring?

I had a bicycle injury which left me with hypertrophic scars on my forehead, below my eye and nose, and off the corner off my mouth. A cosmetic dermatologist recommended several treatments of Vbeam lasers followed by Fraxel laser treatments. Does this sound like a usual course of treatment? Should I be considering alternate methods?

Good Choices for Hypertrophic Scars

Thanks for your question. I hope you have recovered from your accident. It sounds like the combination of laser treatments your dermatologist recommended is one that can be very effective in treating hypertrophic scars. In my experience, which is supported by research, V-Beam laser treatments show significant improvement in reducing both the redness and bulk of hypertrophic scars. Patients typically tolerate the treatments quite well. Following up with Fraxel treatments should enhance the results. Good luck, and take care.

San Diego Dermatologist

Hypertrophic Scars and Laser Treatments

If often takes a combination of lasers such as V-Beam and Fraxel and intralesional cortisone injections to improve the appearance of scars.  It usually takes several treatments to improve the appearance since there is no "quick fix" for these type of scars.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is an expert with these procedures.

Laser Treatments for Facial Scarring

The combination of Laser treatments mentioned are typically good choices for treatment of this type of scarring.

Victor Michalak, MD
Issaquah Dermatologic Surgeon

Hypertrophic Scars

Hypertrophic scars can be treated with a combination of modalities.  Some can be dramatically improved by the combination of injectable cortisone and topical silicone based dressing or ointments (medical grade not the type you would purchase at a hardware store).  Others might be more stubborn requiring laser or light based devices such as the VBeam or Fraxel.  Every patient is different so without evaluating you it is impossible to comment on your particular course of treatment.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Hypertrophic scar treatment

I am sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds like your dermatologist has provided you with a good treatment plan. Of course, a consultation would be needed to determine the best treatment for your scarring, as there are several variables which determine the best treatment. I often use a combination of Vbeam, Fraxel, and injections with kenalog. It definitely takes several treatments with each device to see improvement. These treatments soften and improve the appearance of the scars, but do not eliminate the scars.

Dr. Tremaine

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Scarring -- Fraxel, Vbeam/Pro Yellow, Needling, 5fu/steroids

there is no way to give you the best advice on this without a formal consultation.  the proposed plan you have is advanced and sounds like something I would do as i treat many scar patients, its a significant part of my practice.  However, this needs to be individually assessed as we often add 5fu or PRP to get improved results after fraxel.  I also like the pro yellow laser better than vbeam now for scars/redness.  Best, Dr. Emer.