How uneven should I expect a Coolsculpting treatment to be if the Z-Wave massage was delayed and much lighter on one side?

I got 2 cycles of Coolscupting treatment on an area that was already on the lean side. On side 1, they forgot to setup the Z-Wave machine before removing the applicator and took ~5 mins finding and setting it up. The fat block melted down before they started. They had it ready for the 2nd side, and massaged the area much more deeply and longer then the first. The 2 sides feel different now. How uneven should I expect the 2 sides to be?

Delay in Massage

I don't believe that small of a delay will have an impact on the results. Wait three months for results and do your before and after photos and I would assume it will be even. If not please revisit the issue with your provider. Best of Luck. 

Thank you for your question. A small delay in your massage should not affect the outcome of your treatment. Try not to worry. However, if you are concerned, speak with your chosen provider. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Don't worry about it

A small delay in massage should not affect your outcome.  I wouldn't worry about it too much. Enjoy your results!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

How important is timing of mechanical massage following CoolSculpting?

I would not expect a five-minute delay in administration of mechanical massage following CoolSculpting to have any significant effect on your final outcome.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Z wave timing is not important in you outcome

I wouldn't worry at all about the results. The Z wave timing is not critical. Basically, the Z wave is used to tip the cells which are injured to die via apoptosis vs recover. The Z wave shocks/stuns the fat cells which have already been injured with the Coolsculpting. I actually think the Z wave would have a better effect if the skin thawed somewhat because it would penetrate better. The link includes a discussion about Z wave.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

CoolSculpting and Results

The results of coolsculpting are based on a full treatment protocol. You will get less outcome given you did not complete the cycle. Optimal results can be seen at 2-3 months. I suggest comparing before and after photos if you feel a discrepancy between each side, and discussing this with your treating physician. Best, Dr. Emer

Z-wave after Coolsculpting

We use the Z-Wave after Coolsculpting treatments in our office to hopefully help improve the results of the Coolsculpting treatment.  The real treatment and vast majority of the results come from the Coolsculpting procedure (fat freezing) itself.  Though your recovery may have varied from one side to the other, in all likelihood your results will not vary greatly from one side to another. Keep an eye on everything and follow up with the office that performed your treatment in 8-12 weeks.  If the results are discernibly different from one side to another it will show in your photographs and can be addressed- no worries.

Grant Stevens, MD

CoolSculpting and Massage

It is not necessary to use the Z-wave machine after your CoolSculpting treatment.  It is recommended to massage the area after the applicators are taken off because this has shown to provide better results from the treatment.  Sometimes the "fat block" goes down quickly after the treatment, but this is not an indicator that you will have uneven results.  Sometimes it can go down quicker because of the elasticity of the skin or for other reasons, so I wouldn't be too worried about that.  I'm not sure how long it has been since your treatment, but if the two sides continue to feel different, then it is best for you to follow up with your provider to see if it is anything abnormal at this stage post-treatment.  Some patients are not always symmetrical naturally, so before and after photos are the best way to see if there are any differences or unevenness due to the treatment. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Coolsculpting & ZWave

Hello and thank you for your question. The use of ZWave is an optional treatment that is offered by some providers after having Coolsculpting. Zimmer, which is the company that makes ZWave, says the use of this machine will improve the results because it helps "destroy or kill" the cells that are on the edge. They tell us patients see about 10-15% improvement on top of the Coolsculpt results. We have treated hundreds of patients here at Refined Dermatology and there a lot of times we start with a manual massage followed by the ZWave. By the time we get to the ZWave the "stick of butter" has disappeared. We have not seen any unevenness or difference in results. I don't expect you to see any difference in your results either, but if you do it is always best to go back to your provider and look at before and after pictures. Hope this helps, regards Dr. S.  

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon