Will having a tiny case of umbilical hernia prevent a doctor from wanting to perform rhinoplasty?

The ER doctor said that I have nothing to worry about. I'm just worried that it will affect my chances of getting rhinoplasty.

An umbilical hernia in no way interferes with having a rhinoplasty.

Umbilical hernia will not affect rhinoplasty

Dear Rachelchurch, No an umbilical hernia will not affect your chances of having a rhinoplasty. Do inform your surgeon so he/she is aware prior to your procedure. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty and umbilical hernia

Not only should having a simple umbilical hernia not prevent you from having a rhinoplasty, save yourself an anesthetic and a recovery by doing both at the same time.

No, a small umbilical hernia, that is not stuck (incarcerated), should not affect your ability to have a rhinoplasty.  However, you should let your surgeon know about your hernia.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with an umbilical hernia safety?

Many patients develop small to medium umbilical hernias after pregnancy.  This is not a contraindication to undergoing safe anesthesia for rhinoplasty as long as you have not had a hernia incarceration or bowel obstruction.  I think it is extremely unlikely that you have and would think that anesthesia will remain perfectly safe.Of course discuss this with your plastic surgeon to be certain that there are no unusual circumstances.  Good luck and enjoy the results of your rhinoplasty.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Umbilical hernia and rhinoplasty

On occasion, patients may want to have two issues addressed while under general anesthesia. Most times it is very reasonable to do this; however, it may require extra effort to coordinate the two surgeons' schedules. 

I would inform both surgeons about the two procedures. They can talk to you how the two surgeries might affect recovery. Again, most of the time it is about logistics and coordination.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will Umbilical Hernia Interfere with Rhinoplasty Surgery?

A small umbilical hernia will not interfere with a rhinoplasty. In fact, you should consider both procedures at the same time.

Rhinoplasty with umbilical hernia

An umbilical hernia will not prevent someone from undergoing a rhinoplasty procedure. Both  a rhinoplasty procedure and an umbilical hernia repair and be performed together at the same time the same anesthetic with the same recovery period. The 2 procedures may require two specific surgeons who each specialize in the procedure.