Can tethered, indented scar be improved?

After breast augmentation, I suffered an infection which was eventually resolved with strong antibiotics. Perhaps as a result, the scar below one nipple is significantly indented, and pulls inward even more when I flex my chest muscles. Can anyone resolve this? I'd love to find a doctor who has experience with this issue, and a good catalog of successful results.

Doctor Answers 10

Scarring after breast augmentation

Problems such as infections can sometimes lead to unfavorable scars. Plastic surgeons are trained to deal with scars and can generally help to improve them through a variety of surgical and non-surgical means. Have you discussed this with your surgeon? If that option is not available,  it appears that a consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon is in order to understand your options and the anticipated improvement..

Good luck and I hope you find success in treating your condition. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Scar revision

Thank you for the question.  Yes, scar revision surgery can be able to improve your scar concerns quite well.  Best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full examination. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 92 reviews

Breast Implant Scar Improvement

Scarring issues, external or internal, can be improved surgically, with lasers, injections, massage, among other treatments depending on the specific issues and timing of the procedure. Find an office like ours that offers the full spectrum of surgical and nonsurgical options to determine the best plan for you.

Clark Schierle, MD, PhD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Scar revision

Sorry to hear that you experienced complication after breast augmentation.
Scar revision can be performed to improve the appearance of breasts and scars.
Please visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn about your option.
Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Scar revision

I am sorry that you are having problems with the one scar. Yes, scar revision surgery can definitely improve things. Schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss the best option for you -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Scar revision

Sorry to hear about your difficult recovery.  From your description, a well done scar revision should improve things a lot.  Good luck!

Sacha Obaid, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 134 reviews

Indented scar

Hard to answer without at least a photo.  From the description it seems unlikely that your surgeon would not be able to improve this under local anesthesia.

All the best. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Indented scar

 Without a photo it's hard to comment but there's usually a good way to fix the situation with a scar revision and/or fat grafting. I recommend you see  a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for consultation. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Indented scar.

It would be beneficial to have photos in order to give you an accurate recommendation, but in general, scars such as you describe can be improved with surgical scar revision.  Hope this helps.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 77 reviews


It is impossible to comment without a photo and an exam. In general scar revisions are helpful to improve the appearance of a tethered or indented scar. A board certified plastic surgeon in your area should be able to offer suggestions.

Lee E. Corbett, MD
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.