When will this swelling and pain end?

Hi! I got cool sculpting done 4 days ago, and the pain is bearable but super uncomfortable. If someone or anything so much as braises my abdomen, I cringe in pain. I am going to Hawaii in exactly 5 weeks from now. I am hoping by then the swelling will have gone away, and I can be bikini ready? What do you think?

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
I developed pain with coolsculpting which lasted about a week and then got better
You should be good to go to hawaii

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsculpting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your question.
You should be good to go to hawaii

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

CoolSculpting

The CoolSculpting procedure is completely non-invasive, so the patient can return to normal activities immediately. Some patients experience mild tenderness, redness, minor bruising, tingling, or numbness in the treated area, but this is temporary. If the pain is growing or becomes unbearable, which is quite rare, you should visit the doctor who performed the treatment on you to further diagnose and treat your problem. Generally, some mild tenderness persists for two to three weeks, which is quite tolerable and doesn’t interfere with activities.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain after Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is generally a painless procedure.  There are a few patients who have the large applicator for the abdomen who may have some pain for several days later.  There are special medications that can be given in these instances. Please consult your treating physician and return for an in person consultation to be examined.

Pain after Coolsculpting

Pain Post Cool Sculpting

It is not common to have this much severe pain post coolsculpting, please call your physician. You may need other medications or an in person evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Pain Post Cool Sculpting

When will this swelling and pain end?

It is common to have discomfort / swelling after Coolsculpting (especially when treating the abdomen) but this will be temporary and should subside before your Hawaii trip in 5 weeks.  
In general, I tell patients that they may not see the full results for a few months after the Coolsculpting treatment but some will see results early.
If your discomfort persists, you should talk to the doctor's office where you had your treatment and see what they suggest.
Tom Pousti MD

When will this swelling and pain end?

Tom Pousti MD

Swelling and pain 4 days after CoolSculpting

It is not unusual to have some mild swelling for the first few days after CoolSculpting, but normally this is a very temporary problem and it should not last for weeks.  Some people may have some mild discomfort for a few days after treatment but there are a few people who can experience more severe pain.  This tends to only occur with using the larger applicator on the abdomen.  There are some medications that can help to reduce this pain, so you should contact the physician who treated you and discuss your problem.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after CoolSculpting

Thanks for your question.  We do observe some patients who do have some level of pain after the procedure, especially when the larger applicator (CoolMax) is used in the treatment.  I would say approximately 10% of patients have some level of pain, with a very few of those who experience more severe pain.  Almost all of the patients who exhibit post treatment pain had the abdomen treated and usually arises on day 4 or 5 post treatment.  The pain generally lasts for a few days, sometimes a week but always subsides.  You should call your doctor and/or the office where you had the treatment performed to see what their protocol would be for your specific situation and level of pain.  Good luck!

Pain after CoolSculpting