Do all surgeons do gummy bear breast implants? Does it require new/ additional expertise?

Do you know any great doctors to recommend for Brest augmentation / gummy bear implants? I am very interested in them but do only specific surgeons offer them? What should I know about these implants before getting them?
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Gummy Bear Breast Implants

Surprisingly, not that many surgeons are using gummy bear implants although there is a shift toward them. Mentor and Allergan make gummy bear implants and those implants are available to any physician who wants to buy them, including general surgeons, obstetricians, and ENT surgeons (and there are a lot of those surgeons doing breast augmentation. Sientra implants are only available to Board Certified plastic surgeons.

Most of the gummy bear implants re textured, which helps to reduce the risk of capsule contracture. In fact, there is a capsule contracture warrantee with these implants now!

I have add a video that talks about gummy bear implants for you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear implants

All surgeons do not offer Sientra implants.  Most surgeons are more comfortable with one manufacturer of implants over another.  Talk to your surgeon for a better understanding of the types of implants used.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Sientra Gummy Bear Special Training and Experience

All plastic surgeons do not offer Gummy bear or "highly cohesive silicone gel" implants.  Special training and expertise is required to get the best possible results.  For instance- Sientra brand name implants are only offered by specially trained Board Certified Plastic Surgeons!  Ask your choice of a surgeon if they provide Sientra implants, and if so, if they have received the necessary training on placement from Sientra.  and how many they do. Sientra Implants have been available in the USA with FDA approval since 2012.   visit Sientra's website patient portal for more information directly from the manufacturer.P.S.  as of July 2016 Sientra implants are only available (after passing rigorous safety testing) in the Albany, Upstate NY, Capital District region at our office- Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgery, PC.  I encourage all women who want Sientra implants to call us for a consultation. 

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Do all surgeons use Gummy Bear Implants? Does it require additional expertise?

The answer is "No" and then "Yes".  The term "gummy bear" is lost in translation when it makes it's way from the plastic surgery literature to the media mainstream.  Gummy Bear should be limited to devices that have the highest levels of "Cohesivity" which really means "stickiness".  With these devices the gel is thicker, more cross-linked and connected resulting in a more firm device.  Each manufacturer has a more cohesive gummy bear like style of implant.  The most cohesive is the Style 410 implant by Allergan, which is a shaped device.  Mentor has the CPG and Sientra devices have a more cohesive filler in both their round and shaped devices.  It is great to have different options for different patients.  I have used the Style 410 shaped highly cohesive "gummy bear" implant in over 700 patients with tighter constricted breasts, minimal breast tissue and tighter skin and in breast reconstruction.  In my opinion it has the greatest cohesivity to actually shape the breast...all other implants the breast shapes the implant.  With shaped cohesive devices it takes additional training to place them as everything is different and more critical with these devices...smaller, tighter pocket to prevent rotation, absolutely meticulous, bloodless surgery, proper positioning, no massage post op etc. They are trickier to place, but in the properly selected patient yield the best longterm outcome.  Some surgeons do not discriminate between these higher cohesive devices and say "all silicone implants are cohesive and gummy bear-like" which is not exactly true.  Hope this helps...it is a longer answer to a very simple question, with the short answer being - Not all surgeons use highly cohesive devices (gummy-bear), and it does take additional expertise when using the shaped silicone devices which are all highly cohesive in the US to varying degrees.  All my Best!  Dr Bengtson

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear implants

Most surgeons are more comfortable with one manufacturer of implants over another.  Each of the silicone implants have different advantages and disadvantages.   I would recommend talking with the surgeons you are considering and asking them which style implant they would use in you and why.  Best of luck.

Breast implant surgery.

Hello, and thank you for this question. Many qualified board certified plastic surgeons had experience with gummy bear implants. There are certainly many in your area. I would recommend you start with the American Society for aesthetic plastic surgery website.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon