What size breast implants should I get being petite?

hi..i wanted to ask u guys...i am 31 and 5 feet 4 inches...i am quite petite and weigh 98 pounds....i have always been like this...i have decided to go for a breast augmentation.right now i am 34 A to B...the doctor said she would give me a 375 high profile mentor or if i want fuller she can use a ultra high profile on mentor at 375!..i dont know if i should go for a 375hp or 375uhp.....what do u think i should get done and also which is better natrelle or mentor?..thankyou

Which size/profile should I go with?

Thank you for your question. The answer to your question depends quite a bit on your goals. Larger implants tend to look more sculpted or 'fake' - so if you like this look, a large implant is probably the right choice. However, depending on your skin quality, a large implant may not be able to be supported. Implant selection is a complex process that requires a physical exam and a detailed discussion of your goals, I would suggest a formal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon so your specific concerns can be gone over in detail, a physical exam be performed, and individualized recommendations be made. Good luck!

Dear zzz1234

hp or uhp are both good options in the right patient. Your surgeon likely has samples in his or her office. Try them in your un-padded bra and ask for his or her input based on experience. UHP implants are less frequently used and do tend to give a slightly fake look to the average breast. They are useful in the right anatomy.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implants

is best facilitated in my practice with use of external sizers in unlined bras.  Once you decide your volume desired, then implant styles can then be selected to best fit your chest.  UHP may have an increased risk at stretching your breast tissues down the road so I try to avoid the if at all possible... but if that is the look you want and are accepting of the risks, then go for it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Picking shapes and sizes

Unfortunately, it's really difficult to give you specific sizing advice without examining you in person.

Here in Florida, the Mentor moderate-plus and high profile implants are very popular at my practice.  The ultra-high profiles are less popular, since they tend to have a more obvious, "fake" look - and only relatively few women want that.  As for the exact size in cc's, I'd have to measure you, and check on your tissue laxity.

Both Allergan and Mentor make excellent implants.

What Size Breast Implants Should I Get Being Petite?

You would always correlate the lateral breast width with acceptable implant size ranges and take into consideration the tightness or laxity of your tissues and the nipple to fold distances.  That said there are tradeoffs between size and long-term stretch of your breast/skin envelope and beyond the range that comfortably fits your breast width and tissue characteristics, that excess weight and volume is not good for you, leading to stretch and sagging over time.
We try to correlate your psychological preferences with what is reasonable for your anatomy, and would only choose a high profile implant (which we do) if the volume you wanted was too great to use a more natural moderate profile implant. Remember that  for a given breast width you can get more volume in with a high profile than a moderate profile implant.
After doing the measurements, we both use gel sizers in a bra and also use 3D virtual reality imaging with Crisalix. You can see yourself in 3D wearing the VR glasses and we can change the sizes and type of implants as you watch, on your own body.
Using these methods, most women will  easily determine what works best for them within the parameters discussed above.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation size

This is a hard question with out measurements or photos, but high profile or ultra high profile is the way to go being a petite woman.  You have to work with your  plastic surgeon on finding the right volume for you.  The rice test is a very good technique to use.  First get the correct volume and then the profile will fit to the width of your breast.  Good luck

Miguel Delgado, MD

Choosing the right size

Without photos of you and knowing what you want to end up looking like its not possible to advise you. I review before and afters with patients and try sizers on to get an idea of what they want. I suggest you have a thorough discussion with your surgeon so you understand what you will look like with 375cc. Ultra high profile may look more round and fake than high profile or moderate plus, etc. Best of luck.

Paul Wigoda, MD

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Please be aware that high and ultra high breast implants create a different sometimes unnatural shape. Your implant size should be based on the width of the base of your breast which your surgeon likely measured.

To see before and after pictures comparing moderate plus and high profile implants please see the link belwo:

No common singular formula exists to select the best implant size for a prospective patient.

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, there does not exist a singular and accepted formula for arriving at the ideal implant size.  Your best chance of having a satisfied "sizing" outcome is to consult an experience surgeon who is an attentive listener and has a wealth of past experience in breast augmentation procedures.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation: Information

RealSelf aug Dear Ms. zzz1234,

Thank you for your story and questions. Unfortunately without nude photos and a actual
exam I am limited (including taking accurate measurements of your chest) And can only give you non specific but hopefully helpful comments.

Choosing the correct breast implant is a multifactoral depending on your anatomy, skin strech, desired look and size.

Breast size is a very personal choice and using a variety of techniques (some of which you may have completed) you can achieve the size and look you desire.
Unfortunately bra manufactures have not standardized cup sizes.
Breast implant manufactures have created a wide spectrum of implants based on a "cc" measuring system. Different base widths result in different projections for the same size of cc's. Different shapes are based on the cohesiveness of the internal gel.

My responses are:
A)purchase several bras (full bodied and no padding) of the size you think you want to
be. As you realize there are no standard bra (strap/cup) sizes.
B)take a measuring cup (1 oz=30cc) place rice in a nylon y
C) try on various volumes of rice with some form fitting clothes.

2)placement of implant:
Select several nude model photos of the goal breast shape you desire.
Placement decision of implant(subpectoral, dual plane, or suprapectoral) will be determined based on your anatomy If the implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle I usually add 10% volume to what the patient chooses.... to compensate for the muscle pressing down on the muscle and for the naturally settleing of the implant which often makes the breast appear smaller 2-3 months after surgery.

3)profile of implant:
A) for the same volume the higher the profile the narrower the base width.
B)there is very little difference in projection between a moderate to high profile implant
thus little affect on the perceptible final projection of your breasts.
C) the base width of the breast should equal the base width of the implant
D)thus I personally chose the profile based on the patients chest measurements,
(a high profile on a wide chest may not result in the cleavage desired and
conversely a low profile on a narrow chest may result in implant in the outside arm

4)types of implants:
A) round
B) anatomical or shaped be (form stable)

5)Filler material
A) Silicone gel
B) Normal Saline

6)there are four companies that produce breast implants:
-1) Mentor
-2) Allergan
-3) Sientra
-4) Ideal
1-2 =silicone fill comes from same factory
3 =silicone gel has highest cohesiveness (gummy bear) for round implants
1= only implants made in USA
1-2 = make both silicone and normal saline filled implants
4= only makes normal saline filled implants
4 = has internal baffles in normal saline implant to give feel more like silicone filled implants
1-4 = all FDA approved, lifetime warranties
3-at present voluntarily suspended distribution
1-3 have capsular contracture warranty
1-3 have different profiles (for same volume different base widths) resulting in different projections.
1-3 have anatomical or shaped implants.

I personally use all four companies based on the above and the best "fit" for the patient.
I trust your Plastic Surgeon is experienced and is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,
R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600