Shock loss FUE. Any suggestions? (photos)

I was told I have some shock loss. This is in my hairline area which actually was not too bad. I had a transplant primarily to a balding crown which looks the same so far 3 weeks out. My question is will these hairs probably grow back?

What is 'shock loss' after a hair transplant?

It is difficult to judge what is happening in your case without having a great deal more clinical information, including pre-op and immediate post-op photos.In general, shock loss refers to a physiological reaction to scalp surgery or trauma where there is an anagen effluvium. This means that hairs in the growing phase are shed. It is different to the telogen effluvium that is seen several months after an illness or after pregnancy.The exact cause of shock loss is not known and therefore it is not possible to prevent it with certainty.This shedding of native hair is different from the shedding of transplanted hair which is considered to be a normal occurrence.The good news is that shock loss almost always recovers spontaneously although the hairs may remain dormant for several months and then take many months to achieve length.If your doctor thinks you are having shock loss they might suggest topical minoxidil to try and stimulate growth but there isn't any proven evidence that this is beneficial.

London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair shedding after the surgery

It’s important to understand that shock loss isn’t the same as the  natural shedding that occurs after a hair transplant. After your surgery, you will most likely lose the newly transplanted hair after a few weeks. That’s part of the process and isn’t an issue. The transplanted hair will start to regrow after another few weeks, at which point you can expect to see about a 1/2 inch of hair growth every month. Please keep in minde that  Hair transplantation takes time to show result.  Sometimes the hair grown may take longer period of time. You can expect to see the final result in about 10-12 months after the surgery.
All the best

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Shock hair loss usually grows back in 3 to 4 months. Sometimes hairs that were miniaturizing (on their way to become lost gradually) will not grow back from shock hair loss. However most if not all of the hair should return after being shocked. Minoxidil (Rogaine) will assist the shocked are to regrow as as quickly as possible.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you have shock hair loss due to surgery, it may not grow back since there were genetically susceptible

If you have shock hair loss due to surgery, it may not grow back since there were genetically susceptible hairs.  If you are concerned it is best to follow up with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shock loss

Shock loss is the results of anoxemia (reduced blood supply from the local anesthetics) to the scalp and it accelerates existing miniaturized hairs to advance in their balding process.  This triggers Apoptosis (cell death) in these miniaturized hairs and they rarely come back. The drug finasteride prevents this in most men with hair transplants (see below)

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shock Loss

Not sure of the question.  If there was no grafting performed in the hairline, there should minimal shock loss (if any at all).  Was there any grafting in the area where you are experiencing shock loss?

Michael Vories, MD
Rock Hill Hair Restoration Surgeon