Separation of skin after breast lift and augmentation. (photo)

Had a breast lift and augmentation 3 weeks ago and now have a split under my right breast as well at sutures coming to the top of my skin. Is this something I should be concerned about? It also has a slight smell and I am not sure if this is a sign of infection

Separation of skin after breast lift and augmentation

You should see your surgeon as soon as possible.  I would be concerned for an infection.  Wounds like that usually heal on their own, but since you have an implant I would want to follow you closely.  

Separation of skin after breast lift and augmentation.

Small areas of skin separation can occur after breast augmentation with breast lift.

It is critical that you review this with your surgeon, especially because you have some drainage which smells.

Most cases resolve with local wound care dressing, but you should be evaluated first.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Thank you for your question.  In this situation, please see your surgeon right away to get evaluated.  Although small areas of breakdown may occur, you want to do whatever it takes to reverse the course and prevent implant exposure.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD

Thank you for your picture and question. Although small areas of breakdown can happen after this type of procedure, if you have concerns, then you need to contact your surgeon and be evaluated. Hopefully with some good local wound care, this will go on to heal without a problem.

Infection?

Thank you for your question.  Your concern is understandable.  While it is not unusual to have a small wound opening at the "T junction" beneath the breast, the surrounding redness and the smell are worrisome and this really should be seen and evaluated by your surgeon ASAP. 

Lars Enevoldsen, MD
Modesto Plastic Surgeon