Rhinoplasty after septo- and turbinoplasty.

I am due for septoplasty and turbinoplasty. However, I am also considering rhinoplasty (for tip and nostrils). The former would be low cost for me as it's considered a medical procedure. How long after that do I need to wait to get rhinoplasty? Is it wise to get it done separately from the septo- and turbinoplasty?

Combined cosmetic and functional procedures

If the surgeon doing your upcoming surgery has a lot of experience in cosmetic rhinoplasty she or he could do this concurrently.  Otherwise seek the opinion of a board ceritified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon who is adept in both areas. Good tip work frequently requires additional cartilige for support that is borrowed from the septum at the time of the septoplasty.  The Rhinoplasty Society web site could be a good resource for you in this regard.

Rhinoplasty Combined With Septoplasty and Turbinectomy

This is a good question as a lot of people do not know that all of these procedures can be combined.  Insurance will not cover the cosmetic portion of the surgery, the rhinoplasty, but doing it together allows you to have only one recovery.  In fact, if your surgeon does not use packing, the recovery is quite easy and fairly fast.
I hope that helps.  
Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend having the rhinoplasty at the same operative time as the septoplasty and turbinate resection.

Fred Suess, MD

Combined Procedure of Septorhinoplasty is best

Dear treacle, These procedures should be performed at the same time. The insurance can still be billed for the functional portion of the surgery and the surgeon can then determine a fee for the aesthetic portion.  A septorhinoplasty with turbinates is a combined procedure addressing both function and aesthetics. You will have one procedure, one anesthesia and operating room fee and one recovery so I strongly suggest that you find a surgeon who is an expert in both of these areas. I personally address both function and aesthetics with all cosmetic procedures simply due to the fact that once the nose is made smaller you want to ensure the patient can breathe well also. for examples of these combined procedures see the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinopasty after Septoplasty

I strongly recommend that you have all of these nasal procedures at the same time. Not only is it safer to have just one procedure, anesthetic, and recovery you should have a much better result if form and function are improved simultaneously. It will also cost less. Your insurance company will pay the same amount for your septoplasty and turbinate procedure whether it is done alone or as part of a septorhinoplasty.

The internal and external nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty), a septoplasty and a turbinoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.
Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty, turbinoplasty, and rhinoplasty all performed together

It is very important perform all these procedures together, rather than separately due to the fact that there is only one anesthetic,and cartilage grafting may be necessary for the rhinoplasty. It's very important that during the septoplasty procedure that the cartilage does not get discarded, since it may be needed for the rhinoplasty procedure. Look for a double  board certified ENT/facial plastic surgeon who can perform both procedures simultaneously. While the functional components of the are billed to the patient's medical insurance, co-pays and deductibles will still apply.  The rhinoplasty component must be paid for by the patient since it is cosmetic. for more information about both procedures and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty should be done together

Thanks for the question! You should definitely wait and do the rhinoplasty and septoplasty together. In a septoplasty, deviated cartilage and bone may need to be removed in order to straighten the septum. This cartilage can be very useful for the rhinoplasty portion, in the event that grafts are required for reshaping the outside of the nose. If the septal cartilage is no longer there, ear or rib cartilage are sometimes necessary. It makes the rhinoplasty longer, more expensive, and a bit more complicated. The turbinate reduction has no bearing on the rhinoplasty and can even be done in-office under local anesthesia. However, it would probably make sense for you to get it all done at once from a convenience standpoint. 
Depending on your insurance plan, doing the surgery with an in-network surgeon could mean a few thousand dollars in savings in your septorhinoplasty. I'd highly suggest meeting with a few different rhinoplasty specialists before you move forward with any nasal surgery. 
Best regards,Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon